jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you transfer files from your desktop to a new computer?

1. Nell Rose profile image93
    Nell Roseposted 6 years ago

How do you transfer files from your desktop to a new computer?

My laptop is really old, so I need a new one. My main point is, if I have saved a ebook that I am writing, and other stuff, how do I transfer it across in as easy a way possible.

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Transfer files on to a flash drive, then stick the flash drive into your new computer and then you can access your old files and save them on to the new computer if you like or leave then on the flash drive.

My only caution on the flash drive is that are small and I hate to admit how many I have misplaced.

3. BeatsMe profile image66
    BeatsMeposted 6 years ago

There are a few ways you can transfer files
    1. You can use a flash drive
    2. A memory card reader
    3. You can also upload them to your email account using the attach file option, and then download them to your new computer. This option, though, is more time consuming especially if you have too many files to transfer.

If you are using a laptop, you have even more option
    4. You can use a memory card, it does need to have Transflash so it can be attached to your laptop.
    5. If both your laptop has bluetooth, you can just use that also. It's the easiest.

Hope this helps.

4. remaniki profile image81
    remanikiposted 6 years ago

Recently I went through this procedure when I got myself a new laptop. I moved all my files to a 500GB external hard drive.

I attach the external drive to my laptop and use it meaning I have not transferred the copied files to the new laptop.

This way, I get to save a lot of space on my laptop. I do this mainly because I have a lot of software downloads and other files that take a lot of space. Not sure if the flash drive is easier as the others have said here, but this has worked well for me.

working