What did you do with your time before the internet came about?

1. Naomi Jayne profile image61
    Naomi Jayneposted 6 years ago

What did you do with your time before the internet came about?

The day is so packed with time fulfilled especially with the internet to add to it!!

2. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Before the Internet was around I'd make it a point to steal some hours of "the rest of the day/night" to read or write, and I'd find time over the course of a week to do some socializing.  That's what I do now too.  The difference is that I now sometimes read online (but still read offline) and often write online (although often write offline but on my computer instead of a typewriter).  With grown kids, I now have a little more time to socialize, and socializing hasn't changed for me at all.  I only do that offline (unless someone were to call participating in HubPages forums and answering questions on HubPages, "socializing" - but I don't call those things "socializing".

The Internet hasn't taken away time from the day for me.  I use it to make doing some things quicker and easier, which leaves me more time in my days.  Shopping is a good example.  I pretty much stay away from "Internet activity for the sake of Internet activity" kind of stuff.  smile  I want my Internet use to be productive use of time.  That's not to knock people who use the Internet for entertainment and socializing at all.  It's just that people who work and/or have children and/or other responsibilities need to streamline their Internet time and keep it to "productive-use only".   smile  It's different for young, childless, people; retirees, sick people, etc. etc.  BUT, nobody who's young today knows a world without an Internet, so I guess a lot of them can't imagine life without it. 

In any case, the people who don't have to streamline their Internet use and limit "un-productive" Internet acitivty are also those who have more time in their days for it - so it all works out (for the most part).  smile

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I actually used to do housework and have outside interests before I became plugged into the internet.  Sometimes I wish it cost per session and then maybe it would curb my time online.

working