jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What was the first computer you ever used and do you have any fond memories of i

1. jesimpki profile image95
    jesimpkiposted 6 years ago

What was the first computer you ever used and do you have any fond memories of it?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

A Sinclair, SX70, I think it was called, we got it for the kids but they sometimes let me play, especially when we got the Commodore 64 with the Ghostbusters game, 'he slimed me'.

3. genuineaid profile image79
    genuineaidposted 6 years ago

I remember my parents bought a Compaq computer with 10 Gigabyte hard-drive smile

It was fun while it lasted, the games and the first experience with microsoft paint...

Totally don't recommend Compaq hmm

4. CZCZCZ profile image84
    CZCZCZposted 6 years ago

The first computer I used was my dads 286 with a green screen, they still made some games for that thing, but they sure were bad.  Certainly is quite a difference to the dual monitors I am staring at right now.

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 6 years ago

I started with a "white box" 086 computer with a 500 KB (that is one-half of a megabite) hard drive that used the large 5.5 inch floppy disks and ran under Dos. My only exposure to Windows was a runtime version that came with the Aldus PageMaker program (Aldus was later purchased by Adobe). I have come through the ranks over the past 25 years.

Actually, I need to go back one step. I started using a mainframe computer with what were called "dumb terminals" back in the late 70s. You could type your stories and then send them to the typesetting machine. You were able to enter code at the beginning of the story that let you pick the point size and column width. The font was limited to the single font that was on the typesetting machine. We have come a long ways.

working