jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

OS X, Windows, or Linux?

1. tom_caton profile image78
    tom_catonposted 6 years ago

OS X, Windows, or Linux?

If Linux, what version, and why? Mobile Operating System, or Desktop/Laptop versions? Which is the best and why?

2. PreetSaluja profile image36
    PreetSalujaposted 6 years ago

I think OS X is the best, I haven't used it personally but like it a lot. I current am using Windows 7 Professional and it is really good too. It has great features and so does OS X.

3. tom_caton profile image78
    tom_catonposted 6 years ago

I think personally that I had the most fun working with Linux.

It presented something of a challenge, I learnt some shell command and even a smidge of programming, all by choice. Ubuntu is probably the version (or Distro) of Linux I would recommend to most people. It's well designed and it's functionality is reaching modern consumer level.

I use most regularly Windows 7, It's a good, solid OS, demands little and and doesn't necessarily come with an inflated price tag.

Unlike OS X. Apple's operating system is beautifully designed, it's functional, and their computers tend to be of good, if not better, quality. But I don't feel they justify the amount you pay for them.

For example I bought a Core i7, 2.4GHz (I think) 8GB, 500GB, 15" laptop for £750, of course without online coupons it would have been closer to £1100.

For the same computer from Apple, I'd have paid £2,008.99.

For all of the reasons above my preference is in this order;
    Windows
    Linux
    OS X

4. Aikonia profile image85
    Aikoniaposted 5 years ago

OS X personal favorite for the reason it needs the least amount of support and maintenance for the whole family to use. Oh boy, when we had Windows machines it was a nightmare with virus updates followed by drivers updates and around we go again. OS X has been a truly great OS for the family! Windows 7 is not too bad either but for serious work and general home use I would recommend OS X for sure. You focus on what you want achieved and not about fixing everything to just get started. Measure the cost of the OS choice over 5+ years and I have iMacs running the latest OS X smoothly and only needed to spend $50USD for 2GB RAM upgrade. Everything else worked as before. So yes hw may be a little higher but you do get quality HW and a "closed" system which just works. My 3+ year old PC laptops have been converted to Linux as they will not take the latest Windows versions anymore or for that matter not for a long time.

If you do want to be adventurous and not be frustrated with constant updates from everyone go Linux Mint. It's almost as user friendly as OS X and gives you the option to be as techie as you want. I get on my Linux laptop setup when I feel the need to work on projects I need to get the techie-ness out of my system ;-)

working