jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think internet is replacing the television?

1. Hayley Richardson profile image83
    Hayley Richardsonposted 5 years ago

Do you think internet is replacing the television?

I've never been a big TV watcher and these days I only watch 4-5 hours a TV per week including movies (I am aware this may seem a great deal to other people),  but I probably spend 4-5 hours per day on the internet.  Also I'm rarely watch TV when it's actually on, I usually watch it on demand on the internet.  I heard recently that the average in the UK is 4 hours a night in front of the TV, which seems crazy high.  What are your viewing habits and what do you think will become the norm as the technology to use the internet and watch online spreads into more peoples homes?

2. ahmed.b profile image76
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

TV has its own importance and internet has its own. previously I watched TV on a TV set. And now I watch TV on Internet. TV channels have their own reputation and they probably do not want to destry that, That is why I take the new on TV a bit more authentic then a news found somewhere on Internet.

3. ShaamCA profile image60
    ShaamCAposted 5 years ago

Internet has taken the world under its control without life will not be possible

4. dj23 profile image56
    dj23posted 5 years ago

almost Hayley...

1. the useage of the internet is not limited to few things, I think the internet almost have everything putting the TV next to it when it comes to information.

2. Most of the people now a days have easy acces over the internet thus making it thiere first source of information rahter than tv.

3. live streams from news, sports, competition, political activities and etc. are can be watch through the internet.

thus for me. to conclude i could say that the internet is almost repacing the TV. what would you choose? watching american idol on the internet at the same time sharing your thoughts and updates over your facebook and twitter account or rather sit and just watch tv.

5. Rosalinem profile image60
    Rosalinemposted 5 years ago

The internet has become such a great force that it has actually replaced a few things and yes I guess soon enough it will be more convenient to just watch programmes on line.

6. T. R. Brown profile image77
    T. R. Brownposted 5 years ago

I think to some degree yes.  What I believe will ultimately happen as Internet equipped TVs become more ubiquitous is that Internet broadcasting will canabalize regular TV more and more.  As that happens, viewing choices will explode just as music choices did with digital distribution.

7. MrsLWarner profile image65
    MrsLWarnerposted 5 years ago

I do not think so. TV's have been around for a while, they even came out with 3D TV. The internet phenom will die down and I believe the main use will evenutally be on the cell phones and IPADS.

8. Laura Schneider profile image91
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

In my life, yes. I can go for months without deliberately turning on a television, though if I'm at the car repair shop or someone else's house and a TV is on and I have nothing better to do then I'll probably watch it. On the other hand, I'm totally addicted to Hub Pages and am spending 1-2 hours a day on it and doing other things on my computer. The bad part is when I bring work home with me to do--I'm a recovering "workaholic", if there is such a thing.

I don't think that the Internet/computers will ever fully replace TV, just as TV has never fully replaced the radio and neither did records/tapes/CDs. But, for most people, there will probably be a settling-in period where they have to get used to the cool new technology, computers/smartphones/etc., and then it will become just another life tool like the radio and TV.

working