Do you think it is harmful to eat and watch TV at the same time?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Wasteless Project profile image87
    Wasteless Projectposted 10 years ago

Do you think it is harmful to eat and watch TV at the same time?

It's an old tale that eating while watching TV leads to over-eating and weight gain. Is that true for you? Why would you or wouldn't you watch TV while eating?

2. WalterPoon profile image68
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

I believe the general rule is that you should not eat and watch TV at the same time. If you are Buddhist, they will tell you to be mindful, when eating. Mindfulness is a practice and is not limited to just eating but to everything we do in life.

I agree with what Buddhism says, although I am not a Buddhist. To me, if you are eating dinner, while watching TV, I think it is not so bad because the amount of food is limited to the plate. But if you are eating titbits... wow, the sky is the limit! You keep on stuffing the titbits into your mouth subconsciously or unconsciously, like a robotic feeding machine. And the only time you stop is when the program ends. Just imagine if it's a 2-hour program. It means you have been eating non-stop for 2 hours!

3. Kevin Peter profile image61
    Kevin Peterposted 10 years ago

I  personally don't think that there is any harm in eating and watching TV together. In this busy life people usually do similar things.
    But I have read an article related to this topic somewhere. In that article it is said that doing so is really harmful for small children. Moms usually try to feed their kids by letting them watch TV. By doing this, the kids will eat a lot without knowing that their stomach is already full. This will lead to many problems in future.
    But there are many children who are very lazy about eaing. According to me for such kids this is the best method that could be tried by moms.

4. KawikaChann profile image84
    KawikaChannposted 10 years ago

For me, it depends on the type of entertainment I choose while I'm eating - I'll still eat the same amount of food, although if a high action thriller movie is playing, I might be shoveling food into my mouth without realizing it... lol.

5. BlossomSB profile image79
    BlossomSBposted 10 years ago

We did not allow this to happen when our children were young, except occasionally for a special treat. My husband liked to be formal when we ate. Now I sit at the dining-table and use a serviette for breakfast, but relax with the TV for other meals. I can't read or knit while eating, but TV is fine. I would not like to watch something stressful while eating as I don't think that would be good for the digestion.

1. Wasteless Project profile image87
      Wasteless Projectposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it also really matters if you eat in company or alone... In company I mostly find TV destructive for family bonding, but eating alone in a silent room is much more fun with at least the TV for company;)

6. thakurrajesh profile image56
    thakurrajeshposted 10 years ago

yes its harmful, because at the same time your concentration is on TV not on food.I think eat in a proper way is the key for good health!

7. profile image0
    Bob Bambergposted 10 years ago

If eating during a meal, I think you can make valid arguments on both sides.  It can suppress conversation among family members, but on the other hand, it can stimulate conversation and the exchange of viewpoints as family members react to what's on the screen, be it a newscast or a sitcom.

I think snacking in front of the TV can be harmful.  You generally snack on junk food, and you do so sort of mindlessly as you feed a habit, not hunger.  That usually leads to weight gain and other health issues.  I, for one, often find it difficult to watch TV and not be snacking on something.  I've found that nursing a cup of coffee helps keep my mind off of snacks.

1. Kathryn Stratford profile image90
      Kathryn Stratfordposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like the coffee trick! I love coffee, and that is what I consume many times while watching tv.

2. Wasteless Project profile image87
      Wasteless Projectposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know the snacking trap just too well;) I still like it, but the best is to limit whatever you want to snack ina bowl or prepare yourself raw veggies with a dip or fruit slices nicely cut beforehand...

8. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

yes, it is true that eating while watching tv may result to indigestion, slow process of slowing food and pro-long period of eating may slow down your stomach digestion too. Putting on weight is on of the main reason. That is why you see obese people are those who eat on couch, watching tv and remote control in one hand.

9. susanzheng profile image70
    susanzhengposted 10 years ago

I think watching TV and eating at the same time is not good for you in many ways because 1) you will not have the mood to appreciate the flavor of what you are eating, 2) if you focus all your attention on the the program you are watching,   your digestive function will not work as well as when you focus on eating and your nervous system will not be able to send the proper signal to you brain that controls your eating.  As a result, It's very easy for you to overeat and if keep doing this for a long time, eventually the person will be overweight or become obese, whick is really harmful to health.  If you like, separating two activities is possible and doable.

Having a good eating habit is very important to your optimal health.

10. Kathryn Stratford profile image90
    Kathryn Stratfordposted 10 years ago

I think that this is true for some people, because when you're watching tv, you're often distracted. But I always put on my plate what I intend to eat, and I don't go for seconds.
    I think that it is easier to eat our food, and savor it if we do it with the tv off.
    I like watching tv while I eat. We don't have space for a dining table, so we eat on the sofa, and I like watching the news at dinner time.
    I', reading Walter Poon's response right now, and I agree with him. If I were to eat a meal while watching tv, it wouldn't be so bad. But if I had a bag of chips, it wouldn't take long for it to be gone. Nibbling adds up when you're not paying attention.

11. cloverleaffarm profile image68
    cloverleaffarmposted 10 years ago

It's true. If you eat and watch TV, it creates a habit. You soon begin to feel the need to eat every time you watch it. It is like going to the movies...you need popcorn.
    Studies have shown that children who are fed in front of the TV are more likely to become over weight as older children, or later in life. Its sets a bad precedent for their adult life.
    Personally, I think it is a bad habit.

12. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I think "watching TV" is like saying "I got it off the Internet". The screen itself is not harmful but what you choose to get from it, may be.
    I think health issues associated with eating and watching TV are not made different than when we say watching TV is harmful (forget about what else you do at the same time) However if we ask; is exercising while watching TV harmful, I think we would say absolutely not. Exercise and eating are both good, assuming you eat well.

It has been shown that sit down meals with the whole family are good for all kinds of reasons. It has been shown that a need to be "glued" to TV is bad for all kinds of reasons.

Here is one real danger of eating in front of the TV like I do for lunch. You tend to get more food on your shirt.

TV = Weight gain is a no brainer. Sedentary pass times mean less time for active pass times. Again, unless you exercise in front of the TV.

13. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

I think it is not good to eat and watch TV at the same time because you won't enjoy what you are eating and you might be eating more than normal because your attention is focused on the program that you are watching. I like to sit on the table and eat too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)