jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How does your on-line presentation of yourself differ from who you really are?

1. KrisL profile image84
    KrisLposted 5 years ago

How does your on-line presentation of yourself differ from who you really are?

We all edit ourselves -- at work, we are not the same as among friends or family -- but the Web makes the issue stranger & maybe more urgent. How do you present yourself on-line: as happier, more or less religious, more or less sarcastic?

How much does this matter as we seek to live whole, authentic lives?

2. Sunshine625 profile image93
    Sunshine625posted 5 years ago

I don't edit myself. I lack the time and patience to alter my persona. "Be true to you"... is there any other way to be? If anyone should beg to differ feel free to contact me:)

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I think people don't take my sarcasm as seriously. Which is a shame. I seem more likable and friendly on facebook. I have more patience with people on facebook. Why? I have no idea. Maybe because I can't actually see them.

4. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

I don't even agree that we ALL edit ourselves.  1st. off, that's a sum-all fallacy that you are "assuming" applies to everyone, all the time.  It surely does not.
    I can assure you, KrisL, in my case, at this particular place in my life, where I can see quite clearly into yesterday.......I can review my career personna....and walk back over old roads.....I am who I have always been and who I will more than likely, always be. 
    I do not "present" myself online, or any where else in this Universe  other than MYSELF.  When I'm genuinely happy, which is most of the time, I'm simply happy.  When I'm unhappy.....it would not occur to me to paint on a phony "happy" face, or hold up a forced attitude.    I'm not at all religious, never have been, never will be.  I am, however highly spiritual and in tune with all Universal spirituality, and I hold this as a private piece of myself.    Tell me, is it even POSSIBLE to "present" beliefs one does not posess?  Let's HOPE not.   
    I use sarcasm in a lot of my humor.....and I also use it when angry and need to put someone directly in their place....yet, do not want to be blatantly nasty and rude.  Sarcasm comes in handy, as long as the recepient is intelligent enough to get the drift.
    I may have gone the long route.....but in answer to your question.......THERE is NO difference.    I'm "me".....here, there, online, offline......everywhere.
    You know, I just realized, .....this is quite similar to the last line in my "Bio."    "Like me or not, I'm not changing, because being me has worked well thus far!!!"

5. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 5 years ago

i am the same online as i am in the real world ... i don't edit myself online... although i do edit myself with time.