jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why would someone choose Intel over AMD?

1. dannyhodge profile image76
    dannyhodgeposted 5 years ago

Why would someone choose Intel over AMD?

I just looked at the computer site 'http://www.newegg.com' and for the Intel latest generation i5 processor (Ivy Bridge) it is $230. This is 3.4GHz, and quad core.
    Now, on the other hand, on the same site, AMD's 3.6GHz EIGHT CORE processor is currently $190, and usually $200. This processor won the award for the most clocked processor, at 8.42GHz.

So, why would someone buy the Intel processor, over the AMD processor? I can't understand how AMD doesn't own the majority of the market share in processors. Help?

2. thranax profile image55
    thranaxposted 5 years ago

Intel promotes themselves and has a stronger brand name then AMD. I am running on AMD that I built myself because of the cost. Intel is said to run better and for awhile it was the only processor to have 32nm technology. Other then that the 3.6ghz 8 core AMD is much better then the i5. It really is just the name brand.

Intel is to Apple, as AMD is to PC. Thats the best way I can say it, you overpay for intel and you overpay for apple.

~thranax~

1. dannyhodge profile image76
      dannyhodgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A lot of people say that Intel processors will last longer - is there any proof of that, or is it just good marketing by Intel, showing themselves as higher quality?

3. newcalendar profile image69
    newcalendarposted 5 years ago

I have built computers for the past ten years and found that AMD parts had a vastly higher failure rate during the mid 2000's, it seems to be more evened out. Even now I'm still very wary of using anything from them though.

working