jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

If you had the choice would you purchase a new laptop or a tablet? Why?

1. point2make profile image83
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

If you had the choice would you purchase a new laptop or a tablet? Why?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

Well, I just had to make that choice after killing my laptop with soda. I bought a new laptop. I don't like the tablets. I have a full, physical keyboard, screen is larger. I don't like the way tablets work.

point2makeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that the size of the screen in very important. I am leaning towards a Laptop but the new iPad is tempting.

3. Marc Rohde profile image73
    Marc Rohdeposted 5 years ago

I would still choose laptop to ensure that I could run any productivity software I needed to; unless you are talking about a laptop that becomes a tablet (that runs full Window) in which case I would go with Tablet.  When most consider tablets they are talking about iPad or some Android based devices but a number of manufactures make Windows based tablets that give the best of both worlds.

If you want a tablet (for reading, etc) I would recommend a lower cost laptop AND a Kindle Fire, which will give you many many of the cirtical tablet functions.

I never though of getting both. An inexpensive laptop and a Kindle Fire ....interesting! Thanks for the response.

4. writerjj profile image83
    writerjjposted 5 years ago

Hi!
    I think it would be best to decide in terms of productivity and portability. Tablets has the obvious advantage of being portable and is already capable of browsing, a number of games, audio player, and video playback.
    However, if you would be using it more for productivity or work while on the go (photo editing, writing long articles, etc...) then it would be better to go for the laptop.
    Just my two cents though. I own a laptop and knows some people who owns a tablet. I tried tablets a couple of times but it is not just for me as my mobile phone can already do the things that I would use it for wink

I do want the capability of writing articles so a laptop would be better suited in that case but the portability of a tablet is enticing. Thanks for the thoughts.

5. uNicQue profile image85
    uNicQueposted 5 years ago

I recently realized that when I buy a new computer, I'm simply going to purchase a good-quality desk top computer. I have had laptops for years, but I'm finding that I don't use them for what they are for, which is transportation. I don't carry my laptop around. It sits on my desk. If I had a desktop, then I would definitely purchase a tablet of some kind. They are easier to transport than a laptop, but they can do nearly everything a laptop can except for the CD drive of course. Make sure to really shop around a lot. CNET is great for that.

Thanks for the response. A tablet is certainly more portable that anything else. I'll give CNET a try.

6. profile image55
    simavi1posted 5 years ago

i would purchase new laptop over tablet because i need big screen to navigate through internet

Good point...size does matter.

7. petenali profile image87
    petenaliposted 5 years ago

I really think it's a personal choice based on your usage needs.  I had a great 17" HP laptop for several years and basically used it as a desktop.  It wasn't all that often it left it's spot on my study desk.  Hence, when it gave up the ghost, I decided to go desktop and plunged into the Apple market getting an iMac. 
    Since then I have missed the convenience of portable internet access that my laptop provided on the odd occasion, so I am going to get an iPad.  It will give me all I need for portable usage.  Anything more I will revert to my desktop iMac.
    The functionality of the iPad is just so slick.

The iPad is certainly impressive and is making my choice....difficult. Thanks for sharing.

8. kristyleann profile image60
    kristyleannposted 5 years ago

I saw a computer the other day that was an android tablet and laptop. So you could flip the screen around and snap it down on the keyboard and use it as a tablet or open it up and use it as a laptop. That is the kind of computer I'm dying to get. I have used tablets and love them, but I would need a keyboard for writing and chatting with people. I know you can buy keyboards to plug into tablets but I think that would be annoying lol

working