Best children's computer for 6 - 9 year old?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. DreamerMeg profile image80
    DreamerMegposted 11 years ago

Best children's computer for 6 - 9 year old?

I am thinking of buying a child's laptop computer for Christmas for a 6 - 9 year old. I have looked at a number on Amazon and the best so far seems to be the Leap Pad version 2, it get a good rating. A number of children's computers get slated for slowness, easily broken and poor battery life and some people suggested buying the child an Android tablet instead. Any thoughts or comments on this please?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I'm in favor of any tablet over leap pad. With android you can get apps to do just about anything. My oldest son (9) even has an app to help him identify different types of rocks (science) and an app that helps him sound out words he doesn't know. All the apps we have on his were free. The tablet cost us $99, but in the 3 months we have had it we have all found one use or another for it. Even my almost 2 year old can color on it.

DreamerMegposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, that is helpful.

3. AlexK2009 profile image85
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

Before buying decide what you want this gift to achieve other than simply pleasing the child

To save your  phone bill do not buy a tablet with 3G/4G. Stick to WIFI.

If you must buy him a computer buy a Tablet  and/or a Rasperry Pi which is a very basic  and cheap machine they can develop for themselves.  Personally I would also consider an Abacus and/or slide rule which would teach them basic concepts like rounding error and that sometimes a non-electric device is better than the latest  digital gadget.

We already have an abacus and personally, I never figured out how to use a slide rule myself! I will consider a raspberry pi but not just yet. I think I put my eldest son off computers for life by buying him the ZX81 when they first came out.

2. AlexK2009 profile image85
      AlexK2009posted 11 years agoin reply to this

well yes, the ZX81 was not the pleasantest machine to use, I preferred the Jupiter Ace despite ram wobbles.   I used a slide rule at college and still have a tubular one gathering dust.  Good luck with the decision.

4. puter_dr profile image91
    puter_drposted 11 years ago

That nook HD looks like a good tablet for families, in that it has profiles, so the children can be limited to certain content and apps, and adults can use the tablet as they would prefer.

Thank you

5. jose7polanco profile image80
    jose7polancoposted 11 years ago

Well it al depends on how much you can spend on it and how well will the child take care of it.
    All i can suggest is any tablet as it can used as a laptop with wireless keyboard, case, touch screen that children love so much better than regular mouse,
    tablets are also a little more durable and easy to transport. They more designed for games and other apps. they are cheaper than most computers and you can even buy a prepaid internet plan for apple tablets and most other tablets

Thank you. It looks as if tablets are getting much more of a thumbs up than I expected.

2. jose7polanco profile image80
      jose7polancoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My little brother is 3 yrs old and enjoy more the ability to to sit walk and take about any posture with a tablet instead of having a laptop on his lap.

6. CZCZCZ profile image88
    CZCZCZposted 11 years ago

The tablet can be a great option, however if you are considering a laptop because you want the child to become more familiar with a keyboard and learning to type, start to be able to interact online, and take advantage of all the great learning content that is available for kids on the web, then I would get a laptop over a tablet and there are some very cost effective laptops.

The lower end regular laptops shouls be fast enough for any tasks that a child may need to do on the computer and will not have some of the slowness issues that "kid" machines sometimes face.

If you are comfortable with technology I would get a Google Chrome OS laptop.  The price point is great, they can use all of the services by Google such as Google Chrome for web browsing, Google Drive for word documents etc.  My little 6 year old nephew just got one and it has been great for getting him engaged with a regular computer.  He was already using mom and dads iPad and the such but they wanted him to learn a regular computer as well and so they went with the chrome OS by Samsung and it is working great.

Thanks. I wasn't thinking of spending quite that much, especially as she has access to a computer with keyboard if necessary but a laptop may be something to consider for the future.

7. touch4laptop profile image46
    touch4laptopposted 7 years ago

you may need tablet not computer, there are very nice computers with touch screen and you can convert them to tablets and not expensive, search in amazon or touch4laptop sites

DreamerMegposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We ended up getting an Android tablet and it has been well used and enjoyed.

8. profile image58
    bbbathomeposted 6 years ago

We recommend for using desktop commuters because its handy and easy to repair.

1. RoadMonkey profile image83
      RoadMonkeyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not very portable though.

9. sapintegration profile image60
    sapintegrationposted 6 years ago

I think The tablet can be a great option. Thank you for the great article.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)