jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Adding a photo to your profile/resume/advertisement - yay or nay?

1. kissayer profile image67
    kissayerposted 5 years ago

Adding a photo to your profile/resume/advertisement - yay or nay?

After receiving a number of inappropriate emails thanks to my picture on my HubPages profile and one other freelance writing profile, I was wondering what others' opinions were.

What do you think about displaying your photo on your profile/resume/advertisement?

Obviously my photo is not misleading in the slightest and I am receiving 10+ emails per day - have you had similar issues?

2. MarleneBotha profile image67
    MarleneBothaposted 5 years ago

Try to upload a photo that looks more professional. I should too, just haven't come around to it as yet. You are pretty... and you know how men can be. I think you should have a photo, yes, but as I said, maybe just choose another photo if the response you get bothers you.

3. collegedad profile image75
    collegedadposted 5 years ago

I decided not to, because I wanted to be anonymous. I view hubpages as my quiet place where I can relax and write. Not even my wife knows I do this. That said, if you want to build a following your probably better off with a good photo.

1. kissayer profile image67
      kissayerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's nice that you can use HubPages that way! smile

4. profile image55
    gautams1posted 5 years ago

I display my photo for my articles and LinkedIn. I got a professional photo taken because I needed it for work. I always want to perceive professionalism to my readers and employers. Great question.

5. DrivingPeace profile image85
    DrivingPeaceposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately (or fortunately), you're a pretty young woman, and there's a lot of trolls hiding under bridges on huge public article directories such as HubPages.

I'm not exactly sure how to say this, but can you use use a photo that's...um...uglier? Others have said "more professional", but there's nothing unprofessional about the photo you already have. You're just pretty, that's all.

Barring making yourself look less attractive, another option is to use an avatar-type photo like collegedad has done - something that communicates what you're about without actually being a photo of you.

Hope this helps.

working