jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What is disk write and read?

1. flashmakeit profile image68
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

What is disk write and read?

My Norton keep giving me message about disk write and disk read and I have no idea what that means.

2. Anjili profile image81
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

Hi flashmakeit,
    Your hard disk which comprises a cylinder of disks separated by space, spins at a very fast rate. Information has to be written onto it, or extracted from it via the reading/writing device that is forked like your fingers, with read/write heads at the tips. This device has to quickly slip in between the spinning disks to either read data from the disks or write data on the disks at your command.

I bet Norton's report on disk read or disk write refers to the rate at which these activities are taking place. The rest of the message is necessary to further comprehend the full report.

flashmakeitposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think it is coming from my Google browser updates because I did command any disk activities.  Thank you for the comprehensive information and I still need to read more to understand fully.

3. pelsicco profile image61
    pelsiccoposted 5 years ago

your cdrom has both the ability to read data in disks and to write data on them.unfortunately you haven't given us much of that error message but the problem could be in the disk,it may be scratched or partially damaged and thus the cdrom is unable to read or write data or you may have a more serious problem in the CD ROM itself which u should have checked out.another possibility is that the program(Norton) needs an update or something that is on disc.i'm no whiz but i hope I've helped

flashmakeitposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The strange problem is I do not have a disk in my computer when Norton gives me this message!

working