jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Do you use an online backup service?

1. MomsTreasureChest profile image91
    MomsTreasureChestposted 5 years ago

Do you use an online backup service?

If so, did you start using it because of a disaster such as hard drive crash, lost/stolen laptop, etc?

2. amuno profile image92
    amunoposted 5 years ago

I use online backup services to keep files that I will need in a few days and am not sure where I will be then. I also do save some of my pending hubs in SkyDrive or Google  Drive, while using online document editing apps.

On your second question; I would not blame it on storage mishap at home. I try to be as safe as possible by maintaining multiple local backup solutions.

MomsTreasureChestposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'll have to try SkyDrive and Google Drive, thanks amuno!

3. profile image0
    jlcustompcposted 5 years ago

Good rule of thumb, if it is important you need 2 backups.

1 local and 1 offsite

You should always use some type of remote backup.

Google Drive works Well!

good advice jlcutompc!

4. Alexander Mark profile image82
    Alexander Markposted 5 years ago

no, any information that leaves your control is subject to being compromised, I'm way too paranoid to back up online. I always make sure I back up on an external hard drive at home, that way I have it in two places. Of course the danger in that is if I have a fire that destroys my home, I'll lose everything.

5. Zubair Ahmed profile image78
    Zubair Ahmedposted 5 years ago

I do only for files that I will need access to or want to share with others when I don';t have my laptop or memory stick with me.

Otherwise I store all my information/data in my nice 3TB USB storage which I carry with me in my laptop bag.

6. Electro-Denizen profile image84
    Electro-Denizenposted 5 years ago

Just added security - and yes, I have had bad crashes in the past, though drives seem to be more reliable now.

I highly recommend Dropbox. Dropbox looks like a normal windows folder, and everything you put in it synchs to the Cloud. Furthermore, if you have another machine and install Dropbox with the same account, it automatically synchs that machine up as well. Genius!

I'll have to give Dropbox a try, thanks for the suggestion!

working