How do you choose which smartphone to buy?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Aikonia profile image80
    Aikoniaposted 11 years ago

How do you choose which smartphone to buy?

How much do you weigh up between hardware features vs software features? I mean do you buy a phone with the best camera - max megapixels etc. or is it the apps you often use and want to stay connected with everything that makes your decision or a bit of both.

2. davidlivermore profile image85
    davidlivermoreposted 11 years ago

At first it was the apps, but now I don't use them as often except the basic ones.  Sure they are fun to have but not required.  I mostly go with what I need/want.  I have an iPhone, but I don't need the apps.  The calendar, mail, and other stuff isn't as good as other OS' I have found on other phones  The Windows OS seems to be better with that.

So to answer your question, it's the operating system that sells it for me.

Aikoniaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, great comments. I think once you're over the apps it boils down to what "other stuff" you HAVE to use for work and personal organisation. Those factors may play a part in the decision.

3. eric2112 profile image68
    eric2112posted 11 years ago

Being an Android user, I chose to buy a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It's not at the top of the line for hardware, but it does everything that I need it to. The reason I like Nexus devices, is because, when Google releases a new operating system, they get it first.

I used to be a huge app addict, but have toned down quite a bit now that the novelty has worn off somewhat. Most of the apps that I use now are either for work or something productive. I use my phone regularly to track my workouts and diet.

If buying a phone with internal memory (non-removable), make sure that you buy one with enough space to accommodate your storage needs. This is extemely important if you listen to a lot of MP3s or take alot of pictures and video with your phone. 32GB or greater is good in my opinion. If the phone has an SD card slot, then there is not really a need to worry.

Hope you find one that works for you.

~Cheers!~

Thanks, that's 2 for Nexus :-)

4. jose7polanco profile image72
    jose7polancoposted 11 years ago

First, what apps i that i already use and need work on the phone. I am most likely to get a phone with documents edit (google docs, iwork, documents to go) then i check the phone app store. I like androids and iphones more than other smart phones

Thanks and agreed! As expected, my current Windows Phone works really well with my office Windows programs....but I still prefer my Nexus overall :-)

5. profile image0
    Anonymous00posted 11 years ago

For me its a bit of both. I consider which operating system will best suit my needs and purposes, then look at hardware differences between different models. Comparing which phone sports which features. It also help to look up reviews and consumer experiences with different devices to figure out what the feedback is after purchase, and from those who have already bought and used the model/models you are debating buying.

Thanks, good points. I use a Nexus as I run a lot of my own small business stuff with Google apps and docs and the integration is great. For my day job I got a Windows Phone and it integrates surprisingly well with all the Office environment.

6. mrpip profile image72
    mrpipposted 11 years ago

I find most smartphones to be pretty comparable in terms of capabilities. Each new version from an OEM provides improvements of the last version (more memory, better camera, better screen, faster processor, ...) In terms of the operating systems, I find Android to be Android so one Android phone is very similar to the next in terms of software and applications. For me, the decision is between Android, Apple ios, and Windows. I've used all and all are very usable but being an Apple fan, the iPhone is my current selection for a smartphone. Apple does a great job and the iPhone supplements the IPad I already have.

Thanks, I an currently using a Galaxy Nexus and toyed with the idea of switching back to iOS iPhone 5. But after taking a closer look, I'll be sticking with my Nexus & Google apps for the foreseeable future - it meets all my work & play requi

7. Ohenhen profile image59
    Ohenhenposted 11 years ago

For most people budget comes first. The amount you are willing to spend on a smartphone will determine the grade of smartphone you can acquire. Depending on your requirements the smartphone you choose should help your daily life generally. For example if you are the travelling type, you might want to go for a smartphone with a high megapixel camera to capture clearly every moment.

Thanks, I agree you really need to look at your requirements and do some research to see what phone makes sense for you.

8. profile image50
    venedictposted 11 years ago

When I had to buy a phone I was confused as which phone to select...then I looked in the specifications using review sites like http://www.gsmarena.com and selected the phone which was upto my satisfaction.When I looked in the specifications I weighed up both the hardware and the software features.I chose the Samsung Galaxy phone.When I looked in for the cost it was very high; so I bought a locked phone and then unlocked it.he locked phones are very much cheaper when compared with unlocked ones.I unlocked by using the service from http://www.unlocking4u.com/supported-phones/rs6wp7/ and removed the network restriction.
    This made me to end up with a low cost mobile of my desire.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)