Where do I find sheet music to play on a violin and have you taught yourself to

1. StaceytheWanderer profile image73
    StaceytheWandererposted 5 years ago

Where do I find sheet music to play on a violin and have you taught yourself to play bravado?

I did it! I got a great job and as an early anniversary gift my fiancé gave me a violin. Now I have to find someone to put the tape under the strings so I put my fingers in the right place on the strings. But where do I go from there? Fellow hubbers, help a girl out.

2. profile image0
    ViolinByCourtneyposted 4 years ago

First of all, I think you are talking about "vibrato" rather than "bravado." Vibrato is a back and forth movement that alters the tone quality and is used as an expressive technique. If you are just starting out and apparently intent on teaching yourself, you probably should not attempt vibrato until you are ready for shifting exercises. Master the first position fingerings first and practice moving up to third position, then refine that same motion into a significantly smaller area. Vibrato is best learned through self-directed learning because it is about expression and has to come from inside you. The instructor can demonstrate it and have you do different things to keep the instrument still and make sure you do not injure yourself, but you have to take what the instructor tells you and find your own groove.

"Bravado" in terms of the violin refers to excessive enthusiasm that sometimes causes students to take on too much at one time and is generally not considered a good quality. I found a good article about bravado on another site: http://beyondtheflow.wordpress.com/2012 … s-bravado/

Generally, I would not recommend attempting to teach yourself the violin. It usually results in the development of a bad habit that causes injury down the road. Carpel Tunnel is very common among string musicians, and you do not want to mess with that. There are circumstances that are exceptions. For example, you may be okay if you already play another member of the violin family. However, please be aware that it is a huge risk.

1. profile image0
      ViolinByCourtneyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I must have been half asleep when I typed the above answer. Vibrato alters pitch, not tone quality. Sorry about that.

working