jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can I buy a domain name somewhere else and use it on another web hosting service

1. nayaz1625 profile image76
    nayaz1625posted 5 years ago

Can I buy a domain name somewhere else and use it on another web hosting service?

I currently have my website on free hosting. I am planning to buy my own .com domain name. However, domain names at my current host are quite expensive compared to others but they offer very good service. Is it possible that I buy the domain name elsewhere and use it on my current host?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

People ususally go to Go Daddy and buy their domain, then use it elsewhere.

3. Sapper profile image69
    Sapperposted 5 years ago

You can, I buy my domains from GoDaddy and host them on Hostgator.

Go to your cpanel, or whatever your hosting uses, and find the server IP address. Then buy the domain elsewhere. Next, go into the DSN settings, on GoDaddy it's in DSN manager, then edit zone, and look for points to, redirects to, or something of that sort. Paste the server IP address from your hosting and save. It can take up to 24 hours, but 9 times out of 10 it'll be pretty close to instant. I think the longest I've had to wait was a hour.

4. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

yes, in fact, you should.  It's risky to have your domain name registered with the same place you buy hosting from.

5. vutto profile image61
    vuttoposted 5 years ago

yea of course. i am using also................... smile

working