jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Do you ever purposely spell things wrongly when writing web pages?

1. Diana Grant profile image92
    Diana Grantposted 5 years ago

Do you ever purposely spell things wrongly when writing web pages?

Do you ever knowingly spell things incorrectly when writing web pages, in order to attract searches from people who input the wrong spelling in their search?

For instance, I have just written a hub about how to make bubble and squeak, and, by mistake I spelled it bubble and squeek.  Then I realized that if I spell it that way, other people will probably do so too, and this might affect Google searches.  So having noticed the error, I compounded it by repeating it several times in my article.  Is this bad?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7513229_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I always try and have the correct spelling as it might affect your hub score because of bad spelling, punctuation, etc. Yes HP has gotten that strict.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, I try never to misspell words though I am sure I do.  Traffic isn't more important to me than quality.

1. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Diana, you know I just reread this and it sounds snippy.  Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snippy just brief!  :-)

4. RTalloni profile image87
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

You stumbled upon what is supposed to be a tried and true method of attracting visitors except that the mistake is not supposed to be repeated in the article, only used in tags. 

Don't I sound authoritative?  smile  This is what I've read, but it will be interesting to see what others with more experience might add to this question.

5. Angela Blair profile image80
    Angela Blairposted 5 years ago

I misspell words when I'm talking/writing in the vernacular -- such as "Texanese" where "going to" is often verbalized as "gonna" and such -- other than that I try to spell all words correctly and use them in the right tense.  I tend to write as I talk and we verbalize by habit so that has a great influence on my writing. Excellent question!

6. drpinkrose profile image59
    drpinkroseposted 4 years ago

No My spellings aren't that good anyway but I always check as my articles got rejected on hirewriters for just a few mistakes. My spellings are much better now though due to practice. On hubpages I never intentionally spell incorrectly but try to use more keywords in my articles however I am no good at SEO and increasing traffic so I am trying to figure out how to do that.

working