jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

What is the craziest "non-fact" that you've read on the internet that was presen

1. philli profile image82
    philliposted 5 years ago

What is the craziest "non-fact" that you've read on the internet that was presented as true?

Watching "SportsCenter" and that All State commercial where the girl says "I read it on the Internet" is on. For those that are unfamiliar, the commercial goes on to have the All State agent ask "do you believe everthing you read on the internet". On it goes and the girl says she has a date with French model that she met on the Internet. Up walks a nerdy guy with a fanny pack (obviously not a French model). Anyway....long way of asking. What is the craziest non-fact that you've read on the Internet?

2. AlexK2009 profile image93
    AlexK2009posted 5 years ago

Politicians are honest, patriotic and intelligent.    It neglected to say pick any two. Actually it was in a forum, not a website, does that count?

philliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...I would say that it counts. Politics  and celebrity deaths are probably the most rampant concerning these "facts".

3. ramkimeena profile image59
    ramkimeenaposted 5 years ago

In the Wikipedia,  it was reported about an imaginary War fought by the Portuguese against the Maratha Empire in India in the 17th Century. The article contained 4500 pages and even quoted reference  notes. Everything in it was a figment of imagination. It won some awards also.

Wow! I hadn't heard of this. 4500 pages of fiction....

4. cfin profile image80
    cfinposted 5 years ago

The "facts" I find about the US president, his birth place, birth cert, passport, and general nationality, on the internet are plain daft. People believe them though and quote them as facts.

No matter what political affiliation someone is, these websites are just daft and to quote them just makes one appear as an idiot.

5. Lorenzo27 profile image76
    Lorenzo27posted 5 years ago

The fact that the rapper 50 cent was killed.

Yep...And long before they actually died, MIchael Jackson and Luther Vandross were dying every other month.

6. GlendaGoodWitch profile image90
    GlendaGoodWitchposted 5 years ago

I read that there are more gun stores in America than super markets.

I read this after a very liberal blogger friend of mind started saying that we need to disarm American citizens because there are so many guns and gun stores. I simply said to him, "can you tell me where five guns stores are located?" He stood there looking blank, and then I said, "name five super markets."

This was most definitely the greatest non fact I read on the internet. The scary thing is that I read it from more than one blogger, and some people are actually reading this stuff, becoming outraged, and wanting to call about an action based on this non fact.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that do believe everything they see on the internet. It is also unfortunate that we live in an age where we often have to question what we see on the news or read in the newspaper.

There was a post on Facebook not too long ago. It was a very eloquent statement about guns and gun control. It was well-written and very poignant.  It was attributed to Morgan Freeman. I read it and thought - "oh wow, he stated that so well."

Turns out he did not write that little piece at all--but I would bet people still believe he did.  Often people do not let the real facts sway them from what they want to believe!!  We are living in interesting but precarious times.