jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

How would you go about selling inventions or ideas for inventions?

1. Anti-Valentine profile image95
    Anti-Valentineposted 5 years ago

How would you go about selling inventions or ideas for inventions?

Let's say you invent something or have the idea for an invention. You might have a prototype and/or at least some design documents with a lot of notes. How would you go about selling it? Is there a service online that would cater to this? And how would you prevent someone else from stealing it? A patent?

2. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 5 years ago

First of all I would get a patent before I told anyone else about my idea.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image96
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes find a patent attorney-- preferably one who will give you a free or low cost initial consultation.

2. Anti-Valentine profile image95
      Anti-Valentineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good advice, and noted.

3. Robert Erich profile image88
    Robert Erichposted 5 years ago

You know, going about the entire process of creating, designing, finding a manufacturer, getting a patent lawyer, determining packaging, setting up a website, marketing the product, and managing financing can all be very expensive and time consuming.

While you can make a lot more money that way, it also takes a lot of work. The question is, is it worth your time and can you do it right?

Two alternative options I have for you include:

Use Indiegogo.com. Once you have developed a business plan and know how much everything will cost, if you are okay with people knowing about the idea, create a crowdfunding project to pre-sell your product. You can test the actual market size and make the money you need to get the project going.

Another option is quirky.com. I actually just found out about this website a couple of weeks ago. They will actually make your invention for you! That is, provided the crowd likes it. If you submit an idea - or help develop someone else's idea - you get a percentage of the profits for life! Honestly, unless you want to make your product your life (which starting a business will certainly require), I suggest posting it on Quirky.

Feel free to learn more online money ideas and tips from my newly started blog: laptopmoneytips.com!

Good luck with your invention.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image95
      Anti-Valentineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the websites. I'll follow up on them, especially Quirky. I have ideas, but not, like you say, the time or the resources.

4. berrtus profile image61
    berrtusposted 5 years ago

Yes,
    I would suggest a patent.  Otherwise they would most likely just steal it.  There is little reward in our society for original thought unless you protect yourself legally.  If you have sufficient capital you could develop the product yourself, but if you make something that works without a patent it will be copied by whoever manufactures it and re-sellers of similar products.

5. Neinahpets profile image87
    Neinahpetsposted 5 years ago

I would definitely obtain an attorney and then go about trademarking and patenting my ideas before it was too late.  The attorney can guide you through the process from that point on.

6. FLUSSIG profile image60
    FLUSSIGposted 5 years ago

I have seen a few online companies out there. I think everyone else is right, and you should probably get a lawyer and accountant to help out. www.inventiontomoney.com seems to be a good start. I have some plumbing tools and ideas I'm working on right now.

working