Has anyone had success with CodeAcademy?

1. hrymel profile image87
    hrymelposted 5 years ago

Has anyone had success with CodeAcademy?

I've recently begun teaching myself how to code, and came across CodeAcademy.com.  I've learned quite a bit of the basics of html in the past few days, or at least I feel like I have.  Although, I assume i'm not going to become a world class hacker through the website, I was wondering if anyone else had success through the site.

2. melbel profile image97
    melbelposted 5 years ago

I'm a programmer who has used codecademy (not sure if you're talking about codecademy or codeacademy as they're two different entities) and I really enjoyed it.

I've done the Ruby one (Ruby is my weapon of choice when it comes to programming.) I didn't learn anything new with the Ruby segment, but I did enjoy it. I learned a lot with the Javascript one for sure.

The site won't make you a world class hacker, that's for sure, but it will give you enough skills to know what to do next.. in order to get to the world class hacker level.

I recommend picking up a programming language while you're using it (might I suggest Ruby?) If you do decide to learn a programming language, regardless of the language, you learn a LOT by taking your skills and applying them to the dumbest sounding, most menial puzzles. Believe it or not, you can learn a lot about programming by making a program as simple as one that prints the lyrics to "99 bottles of beer." The goal is to get lots of logic involved in the code, so the code is very concise.

Good luck! Programming is awesome!