jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you use HTML?

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

Do you use HTML?

I used to use it all the time in high school but the height of my HTML skills were about 10 years ago, and I used Explorer to test out my coding. I'm trying to put some of the old skills back to use on a webpage, but I need to test a few things out. It doesn't quite work with explorer like it used to. Does anyone know what to do?

2. ContriveIT profile image61
    ContriveITposted 5 years ago

The html standard hasn't changed over the years but the way the browsers render css is very different across the board.  I'd suggest you do some research into CSS code that fixes rendering problems across the major browsers. 

You can start with this standard fix at the very top of your CSS that takes care of a lot of stuff by resetting the browsers default CSS and forcing it to use yours.

/*
        Resets defualt browser settings
        reset.css
    */
    html,body,div,span,applet,object,iframe,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,p,blockquote,pre,a,abbr,acronym,address,big,cite,code,del,dfn,em,font,img,ins,kbd,q,s,samp,small,strike,strong,sub,sup,tt,var,dl,dt,dd,ol,ul,li,fieldset,form,label,legend,table,caption,tbody,tfoot,thead,tr,th,td { margin:0; padding:0; border:0; outline:0; font-weight:inherit; font-style:inherit; font-size:100%; font-family:inherit; vertical-align:baseline; }
    :focus { outline:0; }
    a:active { outline:none; }
    body { line-height:1; color:black; background:white; }
    ol,ul { list-style:none; }
    table { border-collapse:separate; border-spacing:0; }
    caption,th,td { text-align:left; font-weight:normal; }
    blockquote:before,blockquote:after,q:before,q:after { content:""; }
    blockquote,q { quotes:"" ""; }

If that don;t work, look into IE CSS fixes. You'll find its the most problmatic browser to deal with from a developers standpoint.

Good Luck!

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
      ThompsonPenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for your advice! I"ll give it a whirl!

3. wecode profile image56
    wecodeposted 5 years ago

Yes.. it all depends on how you have code it. Explorer is the worst browser in the whole world. with out seeing how you have code it very difficult to guide you how to correct it. If you like you can share your link I will be able to help you to sort out this issue.

4. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

A good site with tutorials and a code testing application is http://www.w3schools.com
    It's nice to be able to test  and edit some CSS, HTML, or JS in the split screen so you can see what you're doing wrong and right.

working