What's the general opinion of XboxOne?
I personally didn't know it was out.
XboxOne is getting a lot of hate because
-it requires an always on internet connection, it will try to check with servers periodically to authorize and will stop working if it hasn't passed in 24 hours
-it has DRM checks with your disc so if you bring a game to a friends house it is said there might be a fee charged for playing a disc on another device, you wont be able to sell your used games to gamestop/buy used games
-it isn't as powerful as the ps4 but its $100 more
-before E3 it was marketed as a general entertainment console as opposed to focusing on gaming which built up a lot of resentment whereas sony is trying to appeal directly to gamers.
You can check out my E3 coverage if you want
My personal pet peeves are the following, some of which aren't as critical as others:
- Kinect 2.0: For starters, it doesn't work. That's a fact. I don't even need to see it because I know Microsoft will have only tweaked it, and yet it still won't work as intended. We're in the year 2013 and we still haven't gotten light guns to work yet, nor have we got Sixaxis in controllers (3DS, Wii, PS3) to get things 100% efficient. I'm hoping that it at least redeems some of the major flaws with the console for the casual buyer. Nothing too critical though.
- DRM: This is intended to make sure publishers and devs get all the money from a video game sale, but this is only further alienating console gamers and furthermore, the XBOX One has reduced its collectability to squat. Bubsy 3D has more appeal than a used copy of an XBOX One game. Sorry but when one of two stores in my country that sells only used games goes down, I'll stick with the PS4.
- Internet connection. Everyone has the internet, but not everyone has the ability to get onto XBOX Live. Take me for example - I'm on a dongle. I couldn't set up LIVE even with BT homehubs and Talk-Talk. All of a sudden it's compulsory to get online once a week (or every 24 hours, I can't remember) otherwise you can't play the console until you next log in. So bye bye anyone who has never done this before.
- Less focus on games and more towards film and music. This isn't so bad in my opinion, but it just means instead of fixing the kinks that exist on the dashboard and console, Sky TV and Windows Media Player will be top priority when it comes to console fixes.
- Achievement novelty = nothing. Achievements will be added weekly and for collectors, this is a very bad sign. Having to watch "all episodes of John's Antique Drivel Show, Series 7" for 10 Gamerscore does not sound appealing at all.
EDIT: You have my sincerest apologies for the rage there, but this is getting out of hand.
Not a huge improvement? Well, first off, the hardware is miles ahead of the 360 and PS3. This alone is a huge improvement. The way the games are able to be stored and played off of the hard drive without the disk is big. The fact that a single game can be shared between 10 people is revolutionary. The cloud services, if implemented correctly, could single handedly put the Xbox One in the lead of the PS4 by a lot.
Please, tell me that that isn't a huge upgrade.
Having a different opinion, and liking a console, automatically makes me a fanboy? Stop being a PS4/PC/whatever fanboy then.
by William Bond 4 years ago
Why is the internet connection to hubpages so slow?I have noticed lately that the connection to hubpages is slow, far slower than when I connect with Facebook or Youtube. I cannot believe that this is because hubpages gets more traffic than FB or Youtube. So is Google slowing down ...
by David Hunt 6 years ago
The FBI is warning that millions may lose their Internet connection. Are you safe?If you are infected, you will lose your Internet connection when the FBI closes down the servers in July. For details, see:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401227,00.aspTo quickly see if you are infected go...
by Linda Liebrand 6 years ago
What's the longest you can last without Internet connection?Are you itching to check Facebook and hubpages every five minutes, or can you happily 'switch off'? Ever taken an Internet break? :-)
by MoltenHound 5 years ago
What do you think of your internet connection?
by Wadey101m 9 years ago
I'm looking to buy a new console, but am not sure which one is the best to buy. I've been continuously told how great Xbox live is, how fantastic the Ps3's blue ray player is and how fun the Wii is. With the funds to only get one, it's a little difficult to choose.
by Efficient Admin 6 years ago
Hello:I am trying to create a new hub and it has photos to be loaded. I never had any problems before now. The photos will not load and then all of a sudden I cannot access the internet anymore. I have no problem accessing the internet on my computer, until I try to load a photo into a...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|