jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

What is the best free plagiarism checker?

1. Vinaya Ghimire profile image90
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 4 years ago

What is the best free plagiarism checker?

I have used DupliChecker and Plagtracker. Perhaps these sites work well because I have never received duplicate or plagiarism warnings on my hubs. But I wonder if these sites actually catch plagiarism or duplicate contents.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

Good question Vinaya. I don't know about the two sites you mention I only know that plagiarism is rife online and needs to be watched. The bottom line is - it cannot be stopped only deterred! I'm waiting for the day when Google or some other search engine giant comes up with a foolproof way of copyrighting every original article written online! And puts an end to blatant stealing of our words!

Meanwhile - having been a recent victim of plagiarism/stolen content I've been using Copyscape which as you know is not a preventer or catcher, it only allows you to enter a URL. The Hubpages 'copied' icon hasn't worked on any of the hubs that were copied and I got no notcie of duplicate content from Webmasters. I only found out my material was stolen after joining in with a Hubpages forum! Judie B the hubber set the ball rolling by exposing a cheap and tacky website (based in China I think) with loads of stolen hubs just copied out.

You should check the forums for more information because some of your material could be out there copied and stolen. I hope not for your sake. It's not a pleasant feeling!

Good luck, take care.

1. I Am Rosa profile image89
      I Am Rosaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I found copyscape totally useless.  Every search I tried brought up hundreds of other hubs because the program found lots of things that are identical on all the hubs:

Like This Hub?
      HubPages Followers
      Discover More Hubs
      This Hub was last updated ..

3. I Am Rosa profile image89
    I Am Rosaposted 4 years ago

Hey Vinaya :-)

I don't know of any other free sites where you can check for plagiarism except for Copyscape and as I said in my comment to chef-de-jour, I found that one useless.

I can, however clear up if DupliChecker and Plagtracker work well.  After I read this question, I went to both of those sites to test them.  I used some text from my Cocoa Butter article that has been stolen and used by a company that sells cocoa butter - including Amazon.

DupliChecker found 14 instances of my text on the internet.
    Plagtracker found only one - my original hub.

Hope that helps ease your mind a bit :-)

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image57
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 years ago

I am interested to know the answer, so I will follow the question. So far 4 of my hubs have been copied. I followed all the suggestions given by fellow hubbers but nothing came out. Somehow I feel this can not be stopped in online writing. This is depressing.
    I agree with chef-de-jour, that Google should discover some other ways to stop this.

5. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 4 years ago

I don't know the answer to this, but am interested in finding out what works best.  I will look into the ones you have mentioned.  Plagiarism is something I do not every want to be accused of when writing.

6. RetroDJ profile image72
    RetroDJposted 4 years ago

I've always used copyscape.  It helped me see that my website was being completely copied in an attempt by a competitor to force a duplicate content penalty from google.  To say the least they received a cease & desist letter.

7. mujtabasworld profile image62
    mujtabasworldposted 4 years ago

I use plagiarism and it comes with number of results for the text u entered. If u check these results, it highlights the text from that particular site that is using your text. Hope it helps you too.

8. mannie blake profile image61
    mannie blakeposted 3 years ago

1. Doc Cop- requires registration (with email confirmation). Its free version allows for only 75-word text check and no more than two checks a day.
    2. paperrater- www.paperrater.com/plagiarism_checker
    3. DupliChecker - duplicheckerDupliChecker is a tool 100% free to use
    4.Plagium- a free, easy to use checker for essays
    4. iWriteessays- http://www.iwriteessays.com/blog/check-plagiarism-free
    5.Viper- downloadable checker for windows
    6. Plagiarism Detector-http://plagiarismdetector.net/

I think viper is the best because it can performa a "deep search" and find "hidden" plagiarism in pdfs and books

working