Duplicate content made easy

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. ourevolution profile image58
    ourevolutionposted 9 years ago

Got a bunch of duplicate content warnings and I am not sure if Hubpages found duplicate content in my Hubs or on the web. 

If Hubpages finds duplicate content, how hard is it for them to share with us where they found it and what exactly they found? 

It sure would save and lot of time and energy for everyone.  I imagine its just a copy & paste into an email code (?).

Blessings

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You might get more info if you contact the moderation team: team@hubpages.com
      There's also a contact form if you navigate the "Help" menu.  Here is the direct link
      http://hubpages.com/email/help/alert/duplicate

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you got a duplicate warning, then something in one of your Hubs already exists somewhere else on the web.  It's an automated notice.  Have you opened the Hub with the warning, looked at the top of the Hub?  Is there a place where you can click to learn more - if so, it will tell you where the duplicate is.

2. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 9 years ago

If you got a duplicate content warning when you tried to post a Hub it means a large chunk of the text from your Hub exists somewhere else on the web. Not allowed.

This is to stop people from stealing content from elsewhere and posting it here.  Surely you can see why that would be important.

But there are a couple of reasons a respectable Hubber may run afoul of the dup checker.  If you tried to move content you had posted elsewhere and did not wait for it to clear out of the search engine cache you will get flagged.

If you previously had it posted elsewhere and someone copied it, then you tried to move it here you will get flagged.  You always have to make sure copies are taken down before you try to move content.

In any event, its not HPs place to figure out where the problem lies, and it's not that hard for you to do it yourself.  It's something we all have to deal with.  You can handle it! smile

If you think this is an error email HP and they can help you.

ourevolutionposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am not saying it is HP place.  What I am saying is that if the information exists it would be helpful to share it, and easy to share as well.

Wilderness mentioned below that it is shared under "hubs", "Copied Hubs" on the stats screen.  Haven't found this location yet.

I got a message from HB help that they would send me the info manually of where the duplicate content of hubs that have been unpublished.

Those that are marked duplicate and still published can use copyscape.com to locate the duplication.

Still trying to find the "Copied Hubs" page.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Duplicate content warnings means that the content you are trying to publish is unoriginal and already exists on the Internet.  You should know either where you published it before (if it's your work) or where you stole it (if you are plagiarizing).

There is one incredibly easy solution to duplicate content, and so many people overlook it.

Don't repost any content, not your own, not anyone else's.  Totally simple.

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 9 years ago

Go to "hubs", "Copied Hubs" on the stats screen.  The location of the duplicate is given.

Thanks everyone smile

2. ourevolution profile image58

I cannot find "hubs", "Copied Hubs" on the stats screen.  I did find a stats screen for individual hubs, but no hubs or copied hubs selections.

5. Helena Ricketts profile image91
    Helena Rickettsposted 9 years ago

If you look at the top of your browser screen, you will see where it says explore, notifications, (your user name), start a hub, help.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8926426_f248.jpg

Click on your name.  Mine is shown in the photo because I'm in my account.  A drop down will show up and you'll click on "my account."

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8926439_f248.jpg

If you look to the right, you'll see where it says "copied hubs."

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8926458_f248.jpg

When you click on that, it will show you the url(s) of your copied hubs.

Hubpages does not allow duplicate content.  When you post a hub here, you can not post the same article anywhere else on the internet.

Thank you for the detailed response Helena.  Unfortunately my process doesn't show up like yours does.  In the location that you have circled in red, I have "Groups", not "Copied Hubs".

Within Groups is says that all my Hubs are orphans.  That's so sad wink

1. Cardisa profile image88
        Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The "copied hubs" feature is for those whose hubs have been stolen and not for duplicate content. There is a difference.

Duplicate content means that you hub may be published elsewhere, at the same time or before the published HP date.

Copied content means that the plagiarism checker found your hub else that may be published after the HP published date.

You hubs will not show up under the copied hubs link if they have been moderated as duplicate.

There should be a warning on the hub, click the warning and it may direct you to the URL in question.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This.

6. ourevolution profile image58

I was given this website address to find duplicate content of hubs that are still published.  Just to be clear, I have a single Hub that is marked as duplicate, but is still published. I don;t know why this one is and the others are not

copyscape.com.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Copyscape works.  So does just searching for a snippet of text; simply block in a few lines of your hub, copy them and paste them into a google search.  Do it a couple of times for each hub, using a different piece of text, just in case only part of the hub was copied.

Copyscape works, too, but costs.  I use it every couple of months because the number of hubs I have makes it so time consuming to do myself.  The 10 dollars or so copyscape wants is worth it to me; just another business expense.

7. Helena Ricketts profile image91
    Helena Rickettsposted 9 years ago

Well that stinks.  hmm 

What is the title of one of your hubs that is marked as being duplicate?  Don't post the link, just tell me a title.  I can probably find the duplicate for you in about 10 seconds.

Copyscape is ok, I used them when I first started writing online, but they aren't the best and if I remember correctly, don't they charge for each search?

They are free.  Interestingly, it found two website that did have the article published, but said it was recently taken down.  Maybe this a glitch or someone tried to copy it.  I don't know.

Thanks for the offer Helena.  I recently made changes to all duplicate hubs and will wait until they have cleared before asking for your help.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Copyscape is only free to a point, then begins to charge.  I pay the charge; it's worth it not to have to do a manual search on nearly 200 hubs.

8. Kathleen Odenthal profile image88
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

I have gotten that before, and I emailed hubpages about it asking for links to the duplicate content. They emailed me back with the sites and I was able to report them. Have you tried emailing HP?

9. ourevolution profile image58

All this, including overly promotional warnings would be much easier if more information was given by HPs.

Getting tired of the vague warnings and trying to figure out what the real problem is.  Its ridiculous. 

Please, please, please HPs, make the needed changes to automatically share the source of these warnings with us.  Please!

10. Anita Saran profile image75
    Anita Saranposted 9 years ago

An Easy Way to Make Sure Your Duplicate Content (if from your own stuff on the Internet) is truly no longer there and you can post it elsewhere is Websniffer as well as Google's Webmaster Tools.

http://web-sniffer.net/

Enter the URL here and if you see 404 Not Found, you're safe.

Wow!  May all criminal minds be blessed into morality.  Prayer is are only tool in many situations <3 <3

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)