jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What Is The Life Span Of A Re-Writable CD And A Write Only CD?

1. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 4 years ago

What Is The Life Span Of A Re-Writable CD And A Write Only CD?

I have some write only CDs  and some re-writable CDs that are over ten years old and still in the original packing. Do you think they could be used, and if so, would they retain data for long?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I've got lots of music on CD-R's that are more than ten years old and they all still play fine. As long as you keep them in their cases when they're not being used, and store them away from sources of heat, moisture, etc. they can last quite a long time.

quicksandposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Freddy, but my stock of re-writable and write only CD's are still in the original wrapping and untouched for over ten years. I am wondering if the actual lifespan will begin after I start using them if I ever think of using them!

3. Thief12 profile image91
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

If they are still in their packaging, I don't see why they wouldn't function. As long as other factors like humidity, heat, etc. weren't present, they should still work fine.

Once they are used, the average lifespan of CD's can range from 5-10 years, but it all depends in storage, use, and other factors. For example, excessive recording on a CD-RW will impact its lifespan.

quicksandposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much Thief12, I gather that the lifespan will start its countdown once I start using them.

working