jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Streaming old games through the PS4, will it use huge amounts of Data?

1. cfin profile image80
    cfinposted 4 years ago

Streaming old games through the PS4, will it use huge amounts of Data?

Will I end up going above my fair usage policy of say 100gb a month if I attempt to play a retro game. We don't really play many games but myself and my wife like the retro games here and there. Not sure how this streaming of games thing will work? And how fast will the internet need to be?

2. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 4 years ago

I doubt that going over 100gb a month would be a problem unless you downloaded a very large amount of games at once.

Depending on how old the game may be, it could range from 500mb to 2gb, or higher for newer games and lower for even older games.  I don't know how the PS4 system works, but it should tell you how much memory the game will take up.

Again, unless you plan on downloading tens of games at once, you shouldn't really have a problem.

1. cfin profile image80
      cfinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The PS4 doesnt download the retro (ps3, 2, 1) games. It streams them somehow like netflix streams a movie. I guess we will have to wait and see how much data it uses compared to downloading the game just once.

2. profile image0
      Ben Blackwellposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh, then that's different.  I've heard of that kind of thing before.  It will probably take up the same amount of transfer memory as a youtube video would for how ever long you would watch one (though I may be wrong).

Closed to reply

working