jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think companies over charge customers for using their cloud based softwar

1. alphagirl profile image80
    alphagirlposted 4 years ago

Do you think companies over charge customers for using their cloud based software?

Is greed the motive for software companies to put everything in the cloud charging users monthly fees just to use? I use Indesign Cs3 for personal  and volunteer work. Indesign charges $30.00 a month to have access. If you multiply that by 12 months, that is $360.00
    per year. I do not use it daily. How do companies justify the cost. In the past one would pay $499.00-$799.00 for the software and it would last 5 years and in addition to paying for upgrades. Now that companies have figured out they can make more money this way, users have no choice but to pay, "Is that a good business?"

2. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 4 years ago

I am still using MS office 2003 because it works fine and does everything I need.  I also have Adobe Photoshop CS2 which I purchased a long time ago while in college.  Again, there has been no need to upgrade - it serves my purposes just fine. 

I absolutely hate subscription based software.  I understand the thinking behind it, but I think most customers hate it. Fortunately there are almost always other options.  The funny thing is, I haven't paid for a single piece of software for over 10 years.  Every time I needed some specialized task completed, I was always able to find some free software to complete the job.  If I can avoid paying for a subscription for the rest of my life, I will be very happy.

alphagirlposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I had to re-install my Cs3. I am hoping this will do the trick. My fonts still are missing.It seems to be an issue with CS3. I checked the font folder. But still can't figure out how to fix. thanks for commenting.

3. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 4 years ago

They are costly and are useful but I hate the updates and improvements that come with the package over time.  Why can't they just invent something that will last forever?  As you say, it's a money maker for the company to "improve" their product to the customer.

alphagirlposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Your are right. I also think better refrigeration for produce at home would be helpful. My fruits and veggies rot in 3 days. A subzero frog will keep things two weeks.

working