jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How do I contact Microsoft, about Phishing

1. tirelesstraveler profile image81
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

How do I contact Microsoft, about Phishing

I just got a telephone call from a guy saying he was from microsoft and they had been receiving complaints from my computer.  If he could access my computer he could fix it. This was so brazenly corrupt I want everyone to be aware. Because it came over my land line I suspect he is targeting elderly un savvy computer users..

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago
      tirelesstravelerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well that was certainly easy. Thanks Examiner

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
      The Examiner-1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. smile

3. RBJ33 profile image60
    RBJ33posted 4 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up.  Amazes me what some people fall for.

4. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

I think these scamsters just ring numbers at random and even if your number is ex-directory, they can still just make up numbers knowing the area code. A variation on this is where you get an automated call from an auto dialler, which instantly hangs up. If you see the call on your caller id  and ring back, I think they make money on this some how.
    I don't know whether your telephone service provider can block calls from specified numbers. In any case most of the time the numbers are blocked. I don't think Microsoft can do much about this, especially if the calls are coming from outside the country (callers seem to have Asian accents). Maybe the NSA could get involved and trace the calls!
    I usually just wind up the callers by telling them that the instructions they have given me don't work. This goes on for several minutes and eventually they get really frustrated and hang up.  Sometimes I tell them that they have been connected to police head quarters and their number is being traced, at which point they become apologetic and hang up. 
    From my experience, these calls come in bursts. You get a call every day or couple of days for about a week, then nothing, then it starts again after about a month.

tirelesstravelerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I love your style.  I will give it ago the next time.

working