How do you get get rid of Telemarketers?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image64
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

How do you get get rid of Telemarketers?

I know they have to earn a living, but they call at awkward times.

2. telltale profile image73
    telltaleposted 8 years ago

I would press the "busy" button in my phone if I find the number is not familiar at awkward times.  Normally telemarketers will not call back.  If not at awkward times, will tell them straight that I am not interested, period.  So far, this works quite well for me - don't receive that many such calls now.

3. profile image0
    DavidWS10posted 8 years ago

Although my phone number is in the Do Not Call register, when a telemarketer does call, I act like a telemarketer and start trying to sell them new siding for their house.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

I don't answer any calls from numbers I don't recognize. The number pops up on my TV and I can send it right to voicemail. They don't usually leave a message.  I am also on the do not call registry and actually reported a number to them that I knew was a telemarketer due to googling them.  They haven't called back.

5. fdoleac profile image57
    fdoleacposted 8 years ago

Screen your calls with an answering machine.

6. Porshadoxus profile image73
    Porshadoxusposted 8 years ago

Generally, I don't answer the unrecognized numbers.

One of my aunts takes the 'crazy lady' approach. She says she knows the caller, accuses the caller of stealing her lawn furniture or some such outdoor item, and totally dominates the conversation.

Why not propose a swap: they can try to sell you something if you get to try to sell them something. smile

7. profile image0
    Rookie70posted 8 years ago

I am an experienced telemarketer myself, and I have been on both sides. I got calls from other telemarketers, so I do understand how everyone feels about me calling. I would suggest that you be nice to telemarketers and just let them know that you'll think about their service, and that you will call them back if you're interested. Another thing you could do is take their name and number. Remember, a soft answer turns away wrath. Be soft in your decline.

8. Steele Fields profile image76
    Steele Fieldsposted 8 years ago

I pick it up and answer in Japanese (Honichiwa!)  or I might breathe into the phone real heavy, or sometimes I say stuff like, "I'm kinda busy.  Give me your number, can I call you back?"
    Once I started singing an annoying song, off-key, at the top of my lungs.  Play with their heads-- provides hours of good clean fun.

9. adrienne2 profile image67
    adrienne2posted 8 years ago

If they call on my cell phone I press ignore, which have been happening a lot lately on my cellphone.  Get registered on the Do Not Call list.  My mother is registered, and she stated there is a big difference in the amount of calls she was getting.

10. miss_jkim profile image78
    miss_jkimposted 8 years ago

Well, I just disconnected my land line and now only have a cell phone. I have also regestered with the do not call registry. Its not really the telemarketers that annoy me, its the political candidates that drive me crazy.

11. Allan Douglas profile image56
    Allan Douglasposted 8 years ago

I hate being rude to anyone, so telemarketers create a quandary.  How I react to them will depend a good deal on their approach.  If I answer the phone and hear nothing but dozens of voices taking in an obvious call center as my caller checks his/her notes or sips a cola or whatever it is that they’re doing, I just hang up.  If it’s a robo-all I hang up.  If I answer and they launch into a rehearsed pitch, I politely interrupt them and say that I make it a practice not to buy ANYTHNG over the telephone.  Mail me your information and I will consider it.  I am not harsh about it, just matter-of-fact.  Usually they will hang up on me just the same.   If they take a more civil approach I may listen for a moment to find out what they are selling.  Rarely is it anything I’m interested in so as soon as that determination has been made, I gently let them know that.  If they insist on pursuing the matter, I gently lay the phone down, walk away and let them talk to their hearts content.

12. profile image0
    Jasmine JellyBabyposted 8 years ago

I used to be a telemarketer myself and I never understood why people were so rude to me, until I got a call from a telemarketer and realise how annoying they really are!! I did quit my job after that and put myself on the do not call list.

Or I just get my little niece to answer it and she plays the shadow game with them.. She just repeats what they say, eventually the telemarketer hangs up!

13. StephAnkner profile image56
    StephAnknerposted 8 years ago

FROM MY EXPERIENCE AND RESEARCH OVER TIME. I found out beside the do not call list; the best other option you can have and do is write a letter to the telemarketing company and add et-al (means and others) encased they go by multiple names and send a letter saying CEASE ALL COMMUNICATIONS BY PHONE AND OR MAIL IMMEDIATELY. They should not contact you , if they do they can be in trouble legally

14. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 8 years ago

Hi Lady, Just tell them that you are not interested, and if you really don't want to be bothered at all, don't answer if you can't recognize the number.

15. Kotori profile image67
    Kotoriposted 8 years ago

Sometimes I ask them if they know Jesus!

16. profile image0
    surlyoldcatposted 8 years ago

Oh yeah, I got those still even though I'm on the no-call registry. Normally I don't answer unknown numbers. Some I do because of having been published I check to see if it's a prospective hard print publisher I'd submitted material for. You'd think I'd learn my lesson.

When it IS a telemarketer, one of my favorite things to do is start talking to them in German. They try to play the "you were just speaking English when you answered the phone" and I keep rapping on in Deutsch back at them.

Someting else that's fun is to take on a fictional warrior persona. I prefer the "Viking Raider" for the really persistent ones. "Drunken Rowdy Pirate" is also one of my favorites. Guaranteed to get them to hang up fairly quickly after either having a good laugh, saying something defensive and rude, or in total silence.

Finally, and this one you have to be REALLY careful with: Pretending to be completely inebriated and giving them what they want. You don't want to give them any of your real information in any case, but be really  careful in using any vengeance tactics and giving out, oh say, your boss's info. Many a b*****d has been on the recieving end of multiple orders of female contraceptives, fertilizer, alternative romance fiction, and adult diapers (just to name off the top of my head.)

The imagnation soars and when it comes to these people, flex that bad boy.

Of course, now I have to come up with something different because I just blabbed...

17. astaley profile image34
    astaleyposted 8 years ago

Tell them to please take you off their list.

18. profile image0
    lisa.bomposted 8 years ago

Answer the phone. Say "No thank you, have a nice day". Then hang up

19. Support Med. profile image73
    Support Med.posted 7 years ago

If I recognize a 'telemarketer' I don't answer. If by chance I answer, I tell them 'not interested' and if they keep talking I tell them good-bye and hang-up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)