jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

How many views does it take for something to go viral over the the Internet?

1. TheHoleStory profile image80
    TheHoleStoryposted 2 years ago

How many views does it take for something to go viral over the the Internet?

2. rapidforceads profile image60
    rapidforceadsposted 2 years ago

It can not be answered without knowing the content type.

3. motivationsblog profile image91
    motivationsblogposted 2 years ago

Thousands of views in a short amount of time has the potential of going viral. Millions of views in a short amount of time is considered viral. I've actually written a hub on this because it is so fascinating. smile

4. R. Anderson profile image84
    R. Andersonposted 2 years ago

Consensus is around 1,000,000 view mark after I would say 1-3 days of exposure. If you have not hit 1,000,000 views within a week or two at the most I think the 'viral' tag is no deserved. I had a video on youtube and it got over 300K views in a matter of a month because Joe Rogan mentioned it on his podcast. I got offers from advertisers and others wanting to put links in my video description for money. I wouldn't call 300K viral but I did start getting offers from shows like Rediculousness and some Japanese morning show who wanted to use my video. Ridiculous would have paid me (not sure how much I never did it) and the morning show just wanted to use it ( I said okay to them so my video probably got shown in Japan. Cheers!

1. Matt Easterbrook5 profile image80
      Matt Easterbrook5posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations! Yes you did great.

5. Poethepoet profile image77
    Poethepoetposted 2 years ago

A whole bunch of them!

6. Chriswillman90 profile image97
    Chriswillman90posted 2 years ago

I'd say the million mark is typical for something going viral because of how rare it is. It's a lot easier, to me, for a video to hit a million views than an article so my viral standards for something written is much lower (maybe a quarter to a half million).

The length of time is also a huge factor because an article that get a million views over a few years is not viral, but if it gets that amount over a few weeks or less then it's considered viral. The same applies to videos, which can typically generate millions of views in a matter of days if popular enough.

7. profile image88
    Mills Pposted 2 years ago

More than I have received for one posting - and more than I'm likely to ever receive in that regard.

8. SAM ELDER profile image75
    SAM ELDERposted 2 years ago

I think it is not only about views, but also about shares. I guess thousand shares via social networking sites can be called "going viral"

9. The Examiner-1 profile image76
    The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago

It may not take a certain amt. of views. If it is liked by Google - and other famous search engines - that may be enough.