HUB-FOLK: I humbly request your input on quality wordpress themes

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

Yeah, there all all types of themes available, both free and premium themes, but there's so many opinions and options I'd love to hear what people here have used personally.

I have a few hosted sites that are running on WordPress and I've already made a few decisions for some of them, but others I'm struggling to find something I like.

The two I'm not sure on are going to be primarily Amazon Stores with a number of different products. What do you guys prefer using for straight up sales?  I don't mind a premium theme but the cheaper (and freer) the better, naturally.

I really enjoy the Arras theme for content based sites, though: it looks really great with only about an hour or two of tweaking per site.

2. TNB profile image60
    TNBposted 13 years ago

If I remember correctly, sunforged once said that the best wp theme (in terms of customization) is thesis.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Internet guru-types always like Thesis, because it has such an endless array of choices in how you can configure it.

To my mind, too much complexity in a theme is just plain annoying, and I know there are others who feel the same way - like Lissie, for instance:

http://lissowerbutts.com/frugal-v-thesi … -compared/

She likes Frugal - I haven't tried it.

1. Bill Manning profile image67
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, too many options make you unsure of what to make. I just get whatever looks good, then I do my own CSS tweaking.

I also always stick with fixed width. Too many fluid width themes look like crap on different sized monitors. My 2 cents smile

3. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Yeah it's amazing how 90% of WP themes look soooo ugly!

I myself love the 3 column types, with a sidebar on each side. Gives you lots of area to place ads and links.

I can't say any one is great, you'll have to search around. There are dozens of places to get free WP themes.

Just inspect the code, I got one that had adsense already coded into the comment post! hmm

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

The plus with Thesis which should def accompany any recommendation about it - is that the ability to modify it does NOT require any css or php knowledge and there is  a very helpful support community that can assist you in tweaking it to become anything you like.

Its true , the large amount of options available can be daunting. Thesis is not really just a theme - its a "framework" Genesis is another good framework.

I do use other themes now as I am soon going to hit triple digits in published sites, I like the elegant themes suite , around 30 customizable themes for $19 a year , all with forums and broad customization options.

Both also have direct seo functions like being able to control meta info on a page by page basis.

You could just as easily add all in one seo plugin to get the same seo functionality though.

I should add "internet-guru" types probably like Thesis because it offers a $30 commission on sales! :)Most of the sites that promote that they use thesis, look like they have used none of the customization options - most of my sites you would never guess are even wordpress, yet know they are thesis.

There are also Thesis skins which are "CHILD THEMES" that can be used to radically change the design of your site without knowing any html/php/css

but thesis costs between 70 and 160 so isnt really necessary for your first sites, most free themes will do

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

My favorites are Semiologic paid and Atahualpa free. Both are extremely flexible. smile

6. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

I like themes you can change. I read somewhere once that wp themes can generate a duplicate content penalty on their own. Especially when everyone uses the same theme.

No matter what theme you use, you must make the changes. Watch the code to make sure links don't come up before the content, like home about us policy tabs etc.

So if you cannot crack that position 5 barrier on the serps, have a look at the theme.

7. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 13 years ago

Okay, I admit it, I am an ignoramus.  I think I need to change the theme on my site cindyvine.com but what I want to know, is if you change the theme does the content move with it?  Or do I have to save the content and then reload it.  How does it work when you change a them?  As you can see, I tried with my limited knowledge, to make this site myself and it needs some expertise and tweaking that I don't have a clue on how to do.  So, any advice would be gratefully accepted!

1. profile image0
      archbishop1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It should change, but you will want to look it over pretty good because sometimes it may not come together correctly with some themes. You can always change it back to the original theme though. I went from twentyten to arras and it did not do very good. I wonder if it does better when you stay within the Word Press provided themes versus using templates customized by others. Risk is part of the reward I suppose.

8. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Yes Cindy your content will move with it. Might have to look at a few plugins but all should work ok. You should always download a copy of your site to your hard drive anyway as a precaution and a matter of course. Also take the database as well.

9. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Headway is my favorite WP theme. Other than that Genesis, Thesis and Thematic frameworks are in my top list.

Other themes that i like - Elegant, Mimbo, Athemia, Vigilance.

10. profile image0
    archbishop1posted 13 years ago

I use the new titan pro and love it. It costs about $70, but you can install the free version and use that. I found the premium to be worth the money though. I am a web developer and find thesis to be almost too plain so I went with titan instead. Thesis has a killer following and support group, which is hard to pass up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)