jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How to set up website that offers downloads

1. Aficionada profile image90
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

I'm not there yet.  Still researching.  But I'm wanting to know if Wordpress or some other site-building program or platform will make it possible to offer files that visitors can download - either for free or for a fee.  And, will it be easy for a total newbie to work out how to do it?

Yes, this is very new to me, but I'm getting there.  All ideas are welcome!  Thanks. smile

1. atulhost profile image60
      atulhostposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As you will have to maintain large files and data which should be available for downloading either free of paid, this will require more diskspace and higher bandwidth. I would recommend you to study e-commerce website which deals with online transactions.

2. Aficionada profile image90

Is it okay if I bump this myself after 24 hours?

I found a website similar to what I want that says (at the bottom) that it is "powered by SBI."  I understand that SBI is SiteBuild It, and I've been trying to check out its reputation.  Is that similar to WordPress (as would seem logical)?  Is it any good?

Is site-building the stage where that function (downloading - for free or for a fee) would need to be built in?  Or is it in the hosting?

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

any website can do that basic function - simple wp-plugins exist that can allow you to force payment, registration etc in exchange for the download link

site build it is garbage , avoid

here is an example of a download page (just an example page) that has paypal integration http://ihostpress.com/premium-guides/

it uses the premium wp-plugin gravity forms

here: is some more info about site build it : http://lissowerbutts.com/site-build-it-scam-review/

from a former(maybe current) hubber

4. ngureco profile image86
    ngurecoposted 6 years ago

Perhaps THIS E-HOW can help you.

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

that ehow is garbage also (as expected)

6. Aficionada profile image90

Thanks for the links!  It's a lot to read and absorb.  I'll go through it all again (many times) tomorrow and beyond.

working