Best Things To Do In Cleveland Ohio
Cleveland, Ohio has been known as "the best location in the nation" but what exactly are the best things to do in Cleveland? There are plenty things to do in and around the Cleveland area but you have to know where to find them.
First of all, Cleveland is located in Ohio on the southern shores of Lake Erie where the Cuyahoga River meets the Lake. Cleveland has always been a city filled with industry since it was chartered a city in 1836. It has a great downtown area with shopping, restaurants and entertainment.
Its a city big on sports and home to the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians and the Cleveland Cavaliers. All of the Cleveland sports teams have newer stadiums and arenas right in the heart of the city. The fans of Cleveland love their sports teams and most are die hard fans even though bringing home champions are not the norm.
This article is going to tell you about some of the best things you can to do in and around the Cleveland area when you come to visit or even if you live here.
Things To Do In Cleveland: Cultural
Cleveland has a lot of things to do for the culturally minded person. Some of the most popular places in the Cleveland area are:
- Playhouse Square - This area of Cleveland is located in the vicinity of 1501 Euclid Ave where the main offices are. There are five major theaters located in the Playhouse Square area including the State theater, the Ohio theater, the Hanna theater, the Allen theater and the Palace theater. These wonderful theaters offer the finest in Broadway shows, plays, musicals, opera, ballet and contemporary performing arts. For more information you can call (216) 771-4444 and for tickets call (216) 241-6000.
- Severance Hall - Completed in 1931, Severance Hall is regarded by many music-lovers as one of the world's most beautiful concert halls. The building not only has architectural significance but it is the winter home of the Cleveland Orchestra. For more information call 216-231-1111.
- Rock Hall of Fame - Cleveland is the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. The 150,000 square feet has seven floors of exhibits celebrating the energy, passion and spirit of music. Call (216) 781-7625 for information on pricing and hours.
- Cleveland Museum of Art - The Cleveland Museum of Art is located in the University Circle area of Cleveland. The museum is home to 40,000 modern objects and spans 6,000 years of achievement in the arts. For information about museum hours and galleries call 216-421-7350.
- Natural History Museum - The Cleveland Museum of Natural History is one of the finest natural history museums in North America with an emphasis on scientific research, conservation and education. It has many exhibits about dinosaurs and kids will love it. It is located in the University Circle area. For hours and admission prices call(216) 231-4600.
Things To Do In Cleveland: Sports
Sports is a big event in Cleveland and the fans are always looking for a winner.
- Cleveland Indians - Visit Progressive field for a fun home game with the tribe from April through September. You can also take tours of the stadium and have lunch. For more information call 216-420-4487.
- Cleveland Browns - Take in a game at the Cleveland Browns Stadium September through December. Call (440) 891-5001 for more information on events, tours and game information.
- Cleveland Cavaliers - The Quicken Loans Arena is the home of the Cleveland Cavs and is a great place to see an exciting game of basketball. The number for more information is (216) 420-2000.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame - About a 45 minute drive from Cleveland, the Pro Football Hall of Fame makes for a great visit. If you're a football fan you don't want to miss out on all the football memorabilia and special exhibits on all the legendary football stars of the NFL. Call (330) 456-8207 for more information.
Things To Do In Cleveland: Shopping
Shopping areas in and around the area:
- West Side Market - Located at W. 25th and Lorain Ave, the West Side Market offers visitors and tourists a chance to experience a diverse culture of foods. Hundreds of vendors selling pastries, meats, produce, spices, seafood from all nationalities. The West Side Market hours are Monday and Wednesday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday and Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Shopping on Saturday is the most crowded but the best day to go if you want to experience the atmosphere of the West Side Market at its best.
- Tower City Center - Located right in the center of downtown in fact right at the Terminal Tower. You can shop in all the best stores at Tower City, there's over a hundred, and it also has restaurants and movie theater complex. Walkways that go right through to Progressive Field and Quicken Arena make dining, shopping and entertainment in the city easy.
More Fun Things To Do In Cleveland
If you are still looking for fun things to do in the Cleveland area here is a list for you to check out:
- Cleveland Metro Parks Zoo - The Cleveland Zoo is a favorite place to see for both visitors and local residents. It is open daily year round except for Christmas Day and New Years Day. The many zoo animals including bears, monkeys, lions and elephants are found in their natural habitat in a beautiful setting. The zoo also has a large rain forest exhibit with separate admission fees. For more information call 216-661-6500.
- Cleveland Metro Parks - Also known as "The Emerald Necklace", the Cleveland Metro Parks circles around the metro Cleveland area like a necklace of greenery. Filled with hiking trails, picnic areas and beautiful scenery, the park system is a Cleveland gem. You can also find golf courses, swimming areas, lakes and fishing all through the Cleveland Metro Parks. There are many special events planned through out the year. For more information you can call 216-635-3200.
- Lake Erie - You can enjoy the natural beauty of Lake Erie through many access points around the area. Whether you like to swim, boat, fish or just take a walk on the beach, enjoying Lake Erie is a great way to spend a day in Cleveland.
- Horseshoe Cleveland - Visit Ohio's first casino that is smack dab right in the middle of downtown. Connected to Tower City Mall, it has become the hub of fun in Cleveland, right from opening day in May of 2012. Table games, slots and poker can be found on the three floors of gaming. A buffet and food court is also available.