jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Have you ever experienced southern hospitality? Does it still exist in 2011?

1. Angel709 profile image61
    Angel709posted 7 years ago

Have you ever experienced southern hospitality? Does it still exist in 2011?

I moved to the South in 1995 and southern hospitality was very real and prevalent. It was unbelievable and refreshing.  I lived there for about 8 years. I returned back to the midwest very disappointed and in a culture shock.  I love my hometown and will always be cordial, but different regions do have a "personality". What do you think?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4482164_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Husky1970posted 7 years ago

Angel709, absolutely.  We experience almost daily while we are in South Carolina.  Grocery stores, golf courses, restaurants, etc.  It does still exist.

3. profile image49
    mrscaryghostposted 7 years ago

yes i Have ever experienced southern hospitality

4. Angel709 profile image61
    Angel709posted 7 years ago

Husky1970, that's where I lived! I visited recently, but didn't interact very much.  I'm glad to hear despite changing times, southern hospitality still exists.
    Thanks for all the wonderful responses.

Rhayah, great response. Sorry to hear about the bad apple, but it does make us appreciate the other sweet ones! I have a military family, and would like to extend a hearty thank you for your sacrificial service.

5. Rhayah profile image61
    Rhayahposted 7 years ago

I tend to agree with you Angel.  I've had both great and bad experiences in the South.  I suppose we shouldn't generalize as I know there are a great number of Southerners who are still holding true to their roots and would invite a stranger off the streets for a glass of cold iced tea and then you have the rare few who wouldn't serve you in their diner because wait for it....I didn't have blonde hair and blue eyes like my comrades sitting across the table from me...I couldn't believe it.  I was in military uniform and this woman would not serve me...needless to say i was disappointed that the same people that I was giving my life so that they may enjoy freedom would treat me this way...but so is life..you have your bad apples. 

Rest assured Angel Southern hospitality is alive and well smile in the heart of true Southerners.

working