jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What's the difference between a kilt and a skirt?

1. Ari Lamstein profile image82
    Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years ago

What's the difference between a kilt and a skirt?

My friend just took a trip to Scotland and came back with lots of pictures of men in kilts.  What are the key differences between kilts and skirts?  Do women in Scotland ever wear kilts, or are they just for men?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6880045_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 5 years ago

Hi Ari,

Wore a kilt once, a little like the get up in your pic and had no problem with it. For men I think it's a very smart striking outfit.

I may have worn a skirt once as part of a fun charity drag gig, but I wouldn't dare confess to that nor would I ever think of putting such info on the world wide web, no way, absolutely not, ha ha he he.

The main difference is for men it can be bloody cold wearing a kilt, even with those thick socks and of course the wooly undies, oh yes.

While very practical and warm (so I'm told and no practical experience, you understand) wearing tights just doesn't work for most men,

MJ.

1. Ari Lamstein profile image82
      Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Funny answer!

3. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

We used to wear a kilt to school - only the girls tho  !

A kilt is a knee length garment worn typically by men and boys of a Celtic nationality (Welsh, Scottish, Irish etc) to show tradition. In more recent times the kilt has become a more common garment, worn by men and boys again but not in such a traditional way, such as without the tartan, made of denim etc. Women don't wear them

A skirt can be short (mini), knee length (midi) or long (maxi) and made of any material with any pattern. Skirts are generally made for women and girls not for men or boys.

4. kiltcollcetion profile image60
    kiltcollcetionposted 2 years ago

Well as per my experience a kilt is knee length with flat front apron and pleats at back side as in your picture you displayed normally fasten at belly button and has straps at both side in ancient style of kilt.
    Like in the link
    http://www.kiltcollection.com/utility-k … rtan-kilts

1. kiltcollcetion profile image60
      kiltcollcetionposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well it is the more suitable answer as per me

working