jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What are Hostels?

1. blessedp profile image80
    blessedpposted 3 years ago

What are Hostels?

As stated

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

They're like a really cheap hotel. Instead of individual rooms, there a bunkbeds or cots in large rooms. Sometimes a dozen or more people share a room and everyone uses the same bathrooms.

blessedpposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks @sheilamyers.  That's what I realise and your paragraph sums it up.  Thanks again for you comment.

3. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

My husband, who spent several years in Europe and frequented hostels, says they are inexpensive hotel, cabin or chateau rooms (sometimes tents with bunks) for one-night accommodations. They are most typically offered to single persons and youths and often run by religious organizations or churches. There is no reservation system for them (or at least when he was in Europe), but were sold at first-come-first-serve basis. Instead of private bathrooms, most offered communal baths or showers. Also, the ones he stayed at offered dinner and a breakfast to the hostel patrons. Sometimes patrons were asked to help clean the areas and/or change the sheets before departing. In some circumstances, as a homeless woman with a small child he met at one of the hostels, the owners of the establishments may exchange room and board for cleaning or kitchen help.

blessedpposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you @bethperry, I am enlightened and I appreciate your comment.  I was planning a trip and it was recommended as it is cheaper I was told. I never heard about it so I decided to ask.  Thanks again for sharing your husband's experience.

working