Do you think another city is more romantic than Paris?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. NonCopyBook profile image61
    NonCopyBookposted 9 years ago

Do you think another city is more romantic than Paris?

I could put "romantic" in quotation marks like this as I haven't been and don't want to assume there is truth to this labelling (and people must have diverse experiences in different places), but you hear it many times! I heard it again just last night...

2. SheilaMilne profile image93
    SheilaMilneposted 9 years ago

I would say Venice is more romantic than Paris, and the reason most probably is that I've lived in Paris but not in Venice. Romance fades when you are trying to negotiate the traffic or cope with the frequent strikes.

1. dashingscorpio profile image78
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point! Very few people feel like the city (they live in) is the most "romantic" in the world. Being (on vacation) can "romanticize" most major cities one is likely to visit.
      Living in a city changes your perspective about everything!

2. NonCopyBook profile image61
      NonCopyBookposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes that must be true, and Venice is so unique that I've always wondered if I was more likely to have a romantic time there (as others have said it's very well likely however to come down to who you're with..).

3. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Personally speaking I believe all major cities have their "spots" which if one chose to spend their time they'd find it romantic. What one considers romantic also matters as well.
    New York, Chicago, or LA all have bodies of water near them, museums, parks, diverse cultures, skylines that light up the night, festivals, restaurants, entertainment venues, and nightclubs.
    Oftentimes what makes a city "romantic" is whom you're with and how you feel about that individual at the time. It's also important to note that when we are on vacation or tourist we tend to only spend our time in the best areas of a city. Paris has it's share of ghetto areas as well as people soliciting money on the street.
    There was even a major riot in 2005.
    I point these things out not to detract from  the beautiful romantic city that Paris is but to also illustrate like all major cities it to has a underbelly.
    As a vacationer/tourist we tend to stay, shop, eat, and stroll through the best parts of any city we choose to visit. When we arrive home we can only think of the city in terms of our vacation experience.
    Most of us however if we were to decide to move to Paris, New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, Milan, Venice, would quickly learn we could not afford to (live) in the surrounding areas that we visited.
    I loved my vacation in Paris! However I also know I was on vacation.

Yes I agree that it must come down to the time in your life and the person you're with, even though either way a vacation has a way of "taking you out" of your life... And people could have bad day to day experiences in a certain place that ruins it!

4. chuckandus6 profile image78
    chuckandus6posted 9 years ago

My cousin went to Paris Years ago and was surprised that it looks run down and old to her,like city, wasn't what she expected. To me the most romantic place is up in the white mountains,but mostly bias because my husband and I had our honeymoon there.

Your cousin must have strayed away from tourist sections of town! smile
      Clearly The Avenue des Champs-Élysées and Eiffel Tower areas contain both modern and quaint areas. Some of the tourist places like Moulin Rouge are in a less desirable area

2. mbwalz profile image85
      mbwalzposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Must have been years ago. Even the run down parts of the city are reviving. Streets and trash are not cleaned as often (budget restraints) but are still pretty darn clean. When you walk a few blocks in any direction, there's a park. So beautiful!

3. NonCopyBook profile image61

My folks went to Paris and said they saw lots of homeless people (and memorably they had dogs and cellphones/mobile phones). Every city has homeless people, and with the best intentions this or an unsightly building here or there is less romantic...

5. profile image60
    DJ Andersonposted 9 years ago

Good day to you, Nicholas.
    Being much older to you, and having had the opportunity to travel around this great world of ours,  I can speak with some authority on this subject.
    It is not the city that we feel, it is the person's essence who stands beside
    us and shares the magnificent views or whispers in our ear the secrets
    like only a lover can.
    I have been to Paris and I did not feel any romance from the city.  It is filled with iconic sights and sounds that once seen, it will stay with you for the rest of your life.  But, it did not move me or touch my heart.
    What I am trying to say it that the most romantic place on this earth is not
    a place at all.  It is that feeling inside that warms the heart and tickles your
    fancy.  It is the person with whom you share this perfect feeling. 
    For me, it is not London England, Venice Italy, or Paris France.  One of my all time favorite romantic places is a small place where my husband and I would go.  We could view the Zugspitze in the Austria Alps, and the view was nothing less than stunning.  He would wrap his arms around me from behind and we would get lost in the view that seemed to encapsulate us
    and take us into another dimension.  To me, it was, and still is the most romantic spot on this earth.
    I hope you find your most romantic spot on earth and I wish for you that it is
    imprinted into your heart and mind for the rest of your days.
    DJ.

"..the most romantic place on this earth is not a place at all. It is that feeling inside that warms the heart and tickles your fancy. It is the person with whom you share this perfect feeling." - Very well stated!

2. NonCopyBook profile image61

I can dream of moments like these- I've had romantic moments at home but it hasn't been on a (big) trip, thanks for your detail about places you've been and how it moved you, I hope to visit the Austrian Alps one day!

6. mbwalz profile image85
    mbwalzposted 9 years ago

While I love Paris, I think the romance does not come from the place but from the couple.

Yes that sounds true...

7. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

yes, rome, greece, a beautiful country with historical buildings and scenery that brings couples together

Some people speak very highly of Rome yeah.. One day I'll get there and to Greece!

8. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7773447_f260.jpg

I have been up the Eiffel Tower twice now .. The first time was with my first husband & 3 kids who once they saw the view wanted to go back down for lunch . The 2nd time was with my 2nd husband who I love very much so it was romantic standing looking at the view there with his arms around me .. It was also romantic in Venice .. Back streets of Naples.. Rome , New York and many other places as well as in nature so it obviously depends on who you are with and are you both romantics ...Maybe Venice is more romantic as it is less stressful not in queues like in Paris..

NonCopyBookposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes that is true you probably want to be with the right person and both be romantics... I wonder if many people have had a romantic time on their own?! (It is possible to an extent no doubt...!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)