Best cat food for cat with kidney disease?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image51
    NYTrappistMonkposted 14 years ago

My older cat was just diagnosed with the beginning of kidney trouble.  Not surprisingly, the vet recommended Hill's Prescription k/d diet.

Trouble is, my younger cat threw up for over 8 years, which stopped immediately when I switched their kibble from Hill's Science Diet to Wellness.  Plain and simple, I don't trust the product line.

Is there a recommended product on the market?  Thanks.

1. kymora profile image59
      kymoraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My cat is a 18 year old male, we were just diagnosed with KD and I was shocked to learn that I could have prevented it if I would not have feed him cheap kibble. I have done so much research on this! I am going  to share what i know and please everyone - get your cat off KIBBLE! Its' the worst thing you can feed your fur friends! Kibble dehydrates your pets. They use euthanized pets as part of the by products and both kibble and can foods. Cheap foods! No one wants you to know.  If possible switch your kitten and cats over to a raw food diet. There are many pet stores that  care already made raw foods frozen. If you have a finky cat like mine mix a high grade can cate food like Nature's Variety with the raw food. Nature's Valley has a website with nuturial information - low phospurous and sodium which a KD cat needs.  Primal Raw food is one of the best. It's not that much more expensive and well worth it.   We feed top of the line can but I had no idea that the kibble so bad. Stay away from the prescription food your vet support it's nothing but crap. Make sure you are using the Standard Process Feline Renal Suppliments you can get them at www.naturamart.com. Check out both the Nature Variety webiste (they have many testomonies) and the Primal Frozen  food site.  You know we cannot cure but be can do something about it!  Much support and love you and your fur friends.

2. Faybe Bay profile image64
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you can try shecking out BARF, I know it's sick, but it's a company that makes fresh pet foods, like they would eat if they were living in nature instead of home. I think there's a hub on it somewhere. I will look.

2. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I have a cat that's been in CRF for over 2 years.  She loves the Royal Canin kidney diet, the only one she'll eat.  It seems particularly palatable to cats, unlike some of the other kidney specific diets.  I'm not trying to self-promote, but I do have a thorough hub on the topic.  Read the comments, lots of us discuss food.  Welcome to HP!!!

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

aaa NY I'm sorry to hear about your sweet kitty. and listen to wordscribe she knows her stuff smile
    Welcome to hubpages by the way.

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, CW... it's unfortunate I do have to know a lot about this topic...

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yea that is true your poor baby. sad *hugs* to the brave little kitty and her human mommy smile

4. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Thanks!  She's totally worth the effort.  Gotta love the kitties.

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep yep yep...I don't know how i would feel if any of my 3 kitty babies was diagnosed with kidney issues. I do know I would do whatever it takes to keep them living a full healthy life..

5. profile image51
    NYTrappistMonkposted 14 years ago

Ask Susan Peters gave all of the foods poor marks.  IAMS is so revolting, they should be in jail.

I'll certainly try the Royal Canin, but wasn't aware she thought much of that, either.

6. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Not all cats are the same, and I know that once you loose respect for something it's hard to gain it back. Give hills k/d a try. There are other brands though that have a kidney formula. I'm just not sure what they are off the top of my head.

Royal Canin is an ok brand to try.  There are others, in general, that are much better though.

7. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I have to say , it might be best to take the time and make your own hollistic food from fresh ingredients to prolong your kitties lifespan.
    many of the foods sold may brag they are good for this and that, but by comparison shopping, many do have the same ingredients.
    If you can not make fresh, holistic foods, go for a very low ash content and a decent protein content..avoid any food that lists meal, by-product-or corn as one of its top 7 ingredients.

the top 7 rule is one I stick by for even the most healthiest animals ( I breed boxers and have 2 cats and a few other pets ) ...

Natural is the best route when having to deal with disease, and by picking a few fresh items up at the grocery store will also save you money over the span of the cats life because a good , all natural and holistic food is quite expensive and are not easily found.

~Kerry

8. spiderspun profile image61
    spiderspunposted 14 years ago

Our cats got sick on the vet brand urinary food too.
    I have always fred them techni cal regular. When our tom cat got old and urinary problems he did much betteron the urinary Techni cal brand cat food. He live 7 years after bein dx. The vet always said the cat is on borrowed time, feed it the vet food, but we stuck with the urinary brand techni cal and did fine.

Same with the dog, he hates the vet type food and would starve on it. What is up with that, seems backwards sending a sick animal home on vet brant food that is so bland that they refuse to eat it.

Our little Chiahuahu is well into 11 years and had an above average welnes blood test. His diet is the lamb abd rice tecni cal then we offer him healthy pure meats and veggies cooked. 2.2 pound and spunky little mut

Hollistic fresh ingrdients would be perfect supplement for a cat on and excellent cat kibble too

9. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I do give all the animals kibble but mix it with home made holistic foods...when I have a pregnant boxer ( once a year ) she only gets the fresh holistic foods so I make sure I have healthy , strong pups  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)