Big Brown, Triple Crown hopeful

1. trish1048 profile image81
    trish1048posted 8 years ago

I just read the story of Big Brown's defeat in the final leg of the Triple Crown.  He finished dead last.  The story says he had a 'quarter crack' in his front hoof, which wasn't even addressed until Friday, the day before the big race.  They claim it was a 'non-issue'.  On the plus? side, the jockey knew the horse didn't want to finish so he pulled back.  Even the trainer said he wasn't 'himself'.  So my question, WHY enter him in a race?  GREED?
    My feeling is, horses and dogs should NOT BE ALLOWED to race in weather barely fit for humans.  It was 95+ today and humid.  I wonder how a marathon runner would have fared in this kind of weather. 
    Solution? if they insist on racing animals as a 'sport', there should be strict rules about when they can be raced, such as a driving rain, excessive heat/humidity, or extremely cold weather.
    I felt running any animal today was inhumane to say the least.  I also feel he shouldn't have been ridden at all until the hoof was PROPERLY treated and/or restored.

2. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 8 years ago

In fairness, quarter cracks are considered to be quite minor injuries as long as they're properly treated. I'm glad the jockey had the decency to pull up when he realized the horse wasn't up for it though.

3. trish1048 profile image81
    trish1048posted 8 years ago

hi Kerryg

I agree with you, I too am glad the jockey didn't push Big Brown.  As far as the crack, I know pretty much nothing about what is serious or not, it just sounded to me that it may have been an issue even though they said it was a 'non-issue'.   Maybe I watch too much Animal Planet lol,,
    I do know, in New York, they have a law that forbids the horses from pulling carriages when the temperature and humidity reaches a certain level.  The police will ride around the city and make the owners take the horses back to their stables. So I can only wonder what powers that be decided it was ok to run a grueling race in that horrible weather on Saturday.