jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)

Favorite poetry type?

1. chrissie123 profile image75
    chrissie123posted 7 years ago

Mine is free verse. What is yours?

1. 60
      PirateGirlposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Prose but I am your biggest fan !

2. lbtrader profile image60
      lbtraderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How can you use an avatar like that...

Mine is poeisis..why does such a word that was once a dreamers reality suddenly become a mere suffix as in erythropoiesis....

Poiesis is to poetics what Plato is to science....

figure that!!!

2. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 7 years ago

3. 0
    reconciled heartposted 7 years ago

4. 0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 7 years ago

what is Haiku

5. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

It is Japanese verse in just three lines. Both Tantrum & I write it.  But the objective is to paint a picture in 17 syllables. So it depends on word strength and mix.

1. 0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

so is it hard to do

6. Shalini Kagal profile image79
    Shalini Kagalposted 7 years ago

the sonnet

7. AnneB profile image61
    AnneBposted 7 years ago

Freeverse i like to write it how ever it comes

8. arunjain1989 profile image60
    arunjain1989posted 7 years ago

free verse with lot of rhymes!!

9. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 7 years ago

I love free verse with implied rhyme writen in.
    a Hint of Meter with a free mind writing loose.

Jon in Nashville

10. 0
    LEWJposted 7 years ago

When once I think upon it
    I'm sure I like the sonnet
    I honor all the rest
    But rhyming is the best
    Since I've so often done it

11. patful profile image59
    patfulposted 7 years ago

LEWJ--you took what I was going to say! The limerick. I majored in English, read lots of sonnets, but the limerick is the most fun.

1. 0
      LEWJposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, patful, I think rhyming's a lotta fun for light verse and can be a very powerful ally for serious poetry.     American and English literature are full of precious examples smile

12. archdaw profile image62
    archdawposted 7 years ago

I just did my first one.  I don't know what it is, free verse or lymric, but it was heartfelt from true life experiance.

13. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Sometimes I'm partial to the one that goes, 'Thirty days hath September'...it really tells you something.

14. annie laurie profile image80
    annie laurieposted 7 years ago

I have no idea I have only ever written poetry since I came to hubpages five weeks ago and I am only calling it poetry because some of the wonderful hubbers that have been kind enough to leave some comments have said that it is poetry. I have always said that I can't write poetry but five weeks ago I thought that I would just give it a try. I don't have any experience with poetry and before hubpages most of the poetry that I read was just too deep for me to understand. In the past I have read what people said about some of the poems that I have read and I just couldn’t see or understand how they saw all the things that they had seen in the poem.  When I have to choose a category not really knowing what it is I write what category I choose is really pot luck.

The first poem I wrote I just copied the category of a friend’s poetry hub and that was so not right that I went back and chose something else which in all likelihood is still not right. All that being said I have been absolutely bowled over by the fact that I have been able to write something that has at least pleased me, and I have found that I can write in this way.

What I have written may not be good or interesting to anyone else but at least it has given me a real sense of achievement. I seem to write the same kind of way each time at least I think I do so if anyone can let me know what kind I write I would be grateful to know, that is if it has a name at all.lol

I don’t mind criticism if it is constructive but please be gentle as I am only just taking my first tentative steps and can be easily crushed.