jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)

Which is most dangerous, night driving or drink-driving?

1. Phemephe profile image76
    Phemepheposted 5 years ago

Research lately is claiming that night driving might be as worst as drunk driving. Do you believe this? what are your opinions?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What kind of research did that come from? the pro-drink driving brigade?
      I was a night-shift taxi driver for many years, and there is no comparison. Night shift workers need to have perfect vision and are used to working in low or artificial light conditions.
      Drunk-drivers, on the other, may be able to see perfectly well but have slowed reactions thanks to the alcohol.
      It has been proved time and time again, that drink-drivers (as opposed to drunk drivers) are dangerous on the roads because of just this delayed reaction time.
      Part of the test that you have to sit to obtain a driving licence involves the emergency stop.
      You must have quick enough reactions (is 'reaction' the word I am looking for?) to hit the brakes to avoid collision/accident/whatever. Someone who has been drinking has slowed reactions - that is what makes him dangerous. Not his ability to drive within a white line or whatever.

2. 6 String Veteran profile image87
      6 String Veteranposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"pro-drink driving brigade...LOL

Night driving is not for everyone. But drunk driving is for NO ONE. What research are you referring to btw?

Plus, some folks have to drive at night depending on their responsibilities (PM work or kid's sports, etc.) so there is no way to curtail that without radically altering society.

But, do folks have to drink and drive? So one is partially mandatory while the other is a non-requisite and just plain stupid.

3. Lady Luv profile image88
      Lady Luvposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Seriously, cite your sources, would you? Studies show 9 out of 10 people in your comments section think you are full of crap, and just blatantly posted this for a stat boost.

1. LeonJane profile image89
        LeonJaneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

75% of statistics are made up on the spot!

4. 60
      DreamCarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well the most dangerous is texting behind the wheels. The risk is 4 times higher than drunken drive. This is because your concentration on the road is diverted and thus increasing the risk of accident. So people should stop texting behind the wheels.

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Can you provide a link to that research?
    Night driving is more difficult for many drivers (myself included). But some people have no problem seeing well at night.
    But compared to drunk driving?
    I can't imagine that would be the case.

However, if it IS the case, then the government is going to have to figure out a way to arrest people for "DUD" (driving under dark). Sounds like it could be quite a lucrative cottage industry, as DUI arrests are for them....

3. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

If you are drunk, - driving in bed is your only option and priority. big_smile

4. keeganhmorgan profile image60
    keeganhmorganposted 5 years ago

"Research lately is claiming that night driving might be as worst as drunk driving."

First of all its not "as worst as" it would be something more like "as dangerous as". And who ever you got this information from needs to be shut up, people drive at night all the time and get home safe. I think what you may be referring to is that driving while tired is as dangerous as driving drunk and that is close to being true. I would say you should not drive while drunk/drinking or while tired.

5. I am DB Cooper profile image67
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

I could believe that. They've also said that driving while tired is just as dangerous as drunk driving. The big problem is that most drunk drivers are also driving at night and they are usually tired after a night of drinking. It's that triple combo that really scares me.

6. DarkSinistar profile image89
    DarkSinistarposted 5 years ago

Researchers have found that night driving for prolonged periods without a break will produce the same effects as consuming alcohol, but clearly drunk driving is the bigger danger. The affect of night driving depends in large part on how rested the driver is because the problem is driving at night is more tiring and if the driver starts out tired then he can become less responsive very quickly. It is something everyone should be aware of so adjustments (i.e. more frequent rest stops, do not drive when tired. etc.) can be made.

7. kmackey32 profile image80
    kmackey32posted 5 years ago

Depends on how well u can see...lol

8. Purple Perl profile image82
    Purple Perlposted 5 years ago

Depends on who is at the wheel!

9. superwags profile image81
    superwagsposted 5 years ago

It depends on where you're driving. Driving in Eastern Libya at night is more dangerous than driving in rural Scotland drunk. I'd have thought. I'm off to commission a study....

10. wormdo profile image60
    wormdoposted 5 years ago

Nobody in my family has ever been killed by someone driving at night.

11. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

A driver who falls asleep behind the wheel is easily as dangerous as a drunk, maybe more so.

1. LeonJane profile image89
      LeonJaneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

drink driving at night is worse