Life and Work in Baton Rouge - Videos, Recipes and Good Humor
Baton Rouge sits in the parish, equivalent to a county in other US States, of East Baton Rough. it is located in the southeastern part of the state and not far from New Orleans.
This southeastern part of Louisiana is one of the 22 parishes that were disignated in1960 as Acadiana, the official home of the immigrant Acadian people that were driven from Nova Scotia (Acadie) long before Louisiana was a state. Expelled from Nova Scotia in Canada long ago, they traveled a long way to find a home. Baton Rouge has carried their cultural and culinary flavors ever since.
The Acadians became known as Cajuns and became well known for their cuisine, which is featured in books, television cooking shows, state fair demonstrations, restaurants from diners to full service establishments, and homes around the country.
CAJUN - A person born/living alongside the bayous, marshes, and prairies of southern Louisiana (Acadiana) -- Devoted to gumbo, boudin, sauce piquante, crawfish boils, and jambalaya; dedicated to the fais-do-do, French music, hard work, and "Let the good times roll": Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!
- The Times of Acadiana- The weekly newspaper of the Acadiana parishes.
Economic Growth's Top Jobs
The Greater Baton Rouge Area has has experienced economic growth and openings of more new jobs than any other area of Louisiana except the Houma region through the first decade of the 21st century.
The area has grown as such a rate that a new highway system has become imperative for channeling congested traffic. This is known as the Baton Rouge Loop project
The Top 10 Fastest growing Jobs in Baton Rouge and the surrounding parish are the following:
- Ship's Engineers
- Dental, Physician's, and Medical Assistants; Dental Hygenists
- Technical Writers
- Medical Sonographers
- Camera Operators, Television, Video, and Motion Picture- The Film Industry is growing quickly, because of the work done by Celtic Media Centre.
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Occupational & Phsyical Therapists
- Environmental Engineers
- Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
- Computer Software Applications Engineers
The next fastest growing jobs comprise this list of 10 occupations:
- Captais, Mates & Pilots for Water Vessels
- Respiratory Therapists
- Producers and Directors - denotes the growing Film Industry.
- Physical Therapy Aides
- Mental Health Counselors
- EMT Attendants and Ambulance Drivers
- Reservation and Transportation Ticket Agents and Travel Clerks
- Interpreters and Translators
- Ushers, Lobby Attendants, and Ticket Takers
- Petroleum Pump System Operators & Related Occuations -openings created by the rise in oil drilling and alternative energy projects.
Higher Education In and Around Baton Rouge
- Baton Rouge Community College - BRCC offers a variety of programs with connections to community internships and employment.
- Evangel Christian University of America - located in Monroe, Louisiana
- Louisiana Delta Community College - in West Monroe LA.
- Louisiana State University
- Louisiana Community and Technical College System
- Our Lady of the Lake College
- Southeastern Louisiana University - located in nearby Hammond LA.
- Southern University System
- University of Louisiana - also in Monroe LA.
Baton Rouge Skyline and Old Capitol Building Museum
Sports and Recreation
Sports and Recreation
Minor League Sports
- The Louisiana Cajun Pelicans - ABA Basketball
- Eagles - Minor League Football
- Baton Rouge Wildcats - Women's Football, Independent League
Major Local Events
- The Pennington Balloon Festival
- Mardi Gras
- New Year's Eve
Largest Area Employers
The largest employes in the Barton Rouge area are head up by the local government, Baton Rouge being the county seat of the parish.
- Louisiana State Government - includes the state penetentiary.
- Baton Rouge City Parish Government
- East Baton Rouge Parish School Board
- Turner Industries - Construction and Drilling
- Louisiana State University
- Southern University
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center
- The Shaw Group
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center
- Earl K. Long Memorial Hospital
- Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Treatment Center
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- BASF Wyandotte Corporation - Chemicals
- Dow Chemical Company
- Exxon companies
- Georgia Gulf Corporation
Recommended Restaurants in Baton Rouge
The Jambalaya Shoppe
- 9380 Old Hammond Hwy, Baton Rouge, LA 70809 · 225-214-3555
- Traditional foods include: Gumbos, Red and White Beans, Crawfish Pies
Boutin's Cajun Restaurant
- 8322 Bluebonnet Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 70810 · 225-819-9862
- Hwy 44 and Hwy 22, Burnside, LA 70738 · 225-473-3007
- This facility is set in the old slave home on the famous Monroe Plantation. All regional favorites are served.
Acadiana Native American Cultures & Recipe Links
- Native American Nations of the SE USA
- Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana
- Tunica-Biloxi Tribe
- Jena Band of Choctaw
- Choushatta Tribe
Baton Rouge and its immediate area were home to the fur nations of indigenous peoples listed above at least 8000+ years ago and likely a few thousand before.
When foreign settlers arrived, Baton Rouge endured a French period of istory (1699-1763), a British Period (1763-1779) a Spanish period (1779-1810), and the era of The Republic of West Florida (1810) before the territory became the state of Louisiana.
The Acadians also settled in the Baton Rouge area,coming all the way from Nova Scotia. History and recipes are contained in the following links:
Houses of Worship in Baton Rouge Area
Baton Rouge Houses of Worship provides a links to an abundance of places of worship for many faiths. The humorous film clip at right is from one of the area's reknowned evangelists, Jesse Duplantis, who also publishes a cookbook. He's pretty funny at times and is a great entertainer. He came to our church one summer and performed a medley of regional cajun and blues numbers before preaching, and did a spot on impression of Louis Armstrong.
Area Preacher Jesse Duplantis Talks About His New Stepmother
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
Science fiction as a discipline has told us for decades that we can make replacement parts for human beings. In the 2010s, we began to accomplish this by 3D printing biological materials.