Attractions and Industry Near the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, Central Michigan
Historic Lands and People in Central Michigan
Central Michigan, home to Saginaw, is a large area that supports part of the Ojibwe-Chippewa Indian Tribe that is one of our largest Native North American Nations. The larger parent group is the largest native nation in Canada and ranks fourth in size in America. The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe is the Michigan group's legal name with the US Federal Government.
A large native reservation sits in this part of Michigan and the Native Americans operate Soaring Eagle Resort there, as well as community classes on such subjects as canning and other preservation of foods. The reservation is in Isabella County, about 50 miles west of Bay City and Saginaw.
North of Bay City in Bay County, the nation holds property on the Saganing Reservation in Standish. This is an area of natural sights like primitive beaches on Lake Huron and of a cluster of local cheese manufacturers and shops, including one that sells the well known Pinconning Cheese. An interesting segment of Route 13 in Pinconning includes a well appointed branch of the Bay County Library, a city/county bus stop right outside, and a short path over to the beach and lake. Saganing resort is just a bit north. It is all a great place for a relaxing visit.
A large Pow Wow is sponsored by the Chippewa Reservation in Isabella County every year during the first full weekend in August. The dancing and drumming contests for men, women, and youth are incredible.
Civil War Reenactments are Only One of the Local Attractions
Job Growth in Central Michigan
Job growth in Central Michigan through 2016 is forcecast at approximately a 7% increase and from 2006 to autumn 2008, that increase was sustained in the four counties of Gratiot, Ionia, Isabella, and Montcalm.
Of the four counties, Montcalm has offered a greatest number of job openings over the other three and has reduced its unemployment rate the furthest. However, Isabella County contributes a large chunk of revenue to county, state, and federal services via Native American businesses.
The greatest numbers of new jobs to be added are found here:
Top 10 Hot Jobs With Highest Expected Growth to 2016
- Education/Training & Library - 1300 jobs. However, the Trucking Industry has already surpassed this mark in the first half of 2015.
- Healthcare - Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Home Health Aides (HHAs), Nursing Aides and Attendants
- Medical Assistants
- College-Level Health Specialties Teachers
- Sales - Salespeople, counter/sales clerks, CSRs, sales supervisors - 1000 jobs
- Management fields, primarily General managers, Food Service managers, and Operations managers in a number of industry sectors
- All lines of Food Prep and Serving
- Janitors, Landscape Techs & Groundskeepers
- Personal Care & Service Occupations
Top Jobs In Central Michigan, June 2015
At this time, 73,000+ jobs are advertised around the four counties of Central Michigan. The following are the jobs in highest demand, often at high pay:
- CDL Truckers and Owner-Operators - At least five major trucking companies.
- Event Planning
- Managers, Assistant Managers, and Trainee Managers
- Health and Medical Technicians
- Engineers - Several fields.
- Wholesale Food Distribution
- Instructors and Assistant Professors - Michigan State University
- Nurses, Techologists, and Medical Assistants - Covenant Healthcare and McLaren Regional Medical Center
- Physical Therapists
- Manufacturing Jobs.
Central Michigan Highlights
Colleges and Local Sports
- Central Michigan University - Central Michigan Chippewas (sports)
- Saginaw Chippewa Tribal College
- Alma College - founded by Presbyterian Synod of Michigan
- The Heartland Institute of Technology
- Michigan Technical Education Center, M-TEC
- Montcalm Community College - Ionia Branch
- Mount Pleasant Meadows - Horse Track
- Mount Pleasant Speedway
- Regional Soaring Championships - Glider event in Ionia County
- Ionia County Fair - Largest America Fair free-of-charge
- Mount Pleasant Civil War Events
The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe enjoys a large presence in Mount Pleasant, Central Michigan and includes four smaller native bands. These bands include the peoples of the
- Black River, and
- Swan Creek Ojibwe.
Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort is located in Mt. Pleasant with the Isabella Reservation and the grounds of the resort are large enough that a shuttle bus is required to transport visitors to and from the parking lots.
My visits to the casino have been interesting and I have found the visitors and staff friendly. Internationally well known entertainers play the resort weekly, such as famous singers who have performed long-term in Las Vegas.
- This Chippewa Nation is Isabella County's largest employer, providing more than $64,000,000 to state and federal services income every year. The nation also provides part or all of Isabella County with police & fire protection, an array of social and health services, housing, and effective economic development initiatives to boost the local economy.
The Ziibiwing Center of Anishinabe Culture & Lifeways is a business comprising another part of the Saginaw Chippewa Nation economic contribution. The also nation helps sponsor the annual Michigan Indian Family Olympics.
The nation supports alternative energy in Central Michigan through wind & solar power and "clean coal" processes.
The SagChip nation's Job Hotline is 989-775-0062.
The Casino Resort Jobs are at EMPLOYMENT, where the listings included several pages of open positions.
- Central Michigan University is the second largest employer in the county, followed by
- Central Michigan Community Hospital, and
- Mt. Pleasant Public Schools
Telling Our Story at the Ziibiwing Center - with music
Local Native Links
- Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe | Central Michigan University
The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Mount Pleasant, Michigan, comprises mainly the Saginaw, Black River, and Swan Creek Ojibwe bands.
- Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan
- Saginaw Chippewa Tribal College
Saginaw Chippewa Nation
The unemployment rate in Montcalm County continued to decreased in 2008, indicating the existence of unfilled jobs in light of the job growth continuing at the same time. Decreasing by 1.2% (-), this country's economic health is growing faster than then other four in Central Michigan.
- The largest Industrial Employer in this county is agriculture in the Potato Industry, helping to make the US the #3 potato grower in the world, following behind Russia and Poland. Michigan white potatoes are well known across the nation, although they originated in South America in the Andes Mountains among Aymaya and Inca indigenes.
- United Solar Ovonic, a manufacturer of solar panels, located in Auburn Hills added 200 job openings and plans to add more through 2016.
- Spectrum Health United Memorial (Health)
- Carson City Correctional Facility (Government)
- Greenville Public Schools (Government/Education)
Slogon: Great Things in the Palm of Your Hand.
The largest sector of employed workers come form Education and Social Services. The largest county employers are;
- Gratiot Medical Center - United Michigan Health (Hospitals)
- Michigan Correctional Facility (Government)
- Alma College (Education)
- Alma Products - OEM motor vehicle parts, accessories & rebuilding
- Pain Management Network Hospitals
- In addition, St. Louis Michigan the geographic center of the lower, mitten portion of the state, has invested in revitalizing its downtown area for new business, new jobs, and an increase in tourism and hospitality dollars. The town is active in Alternative Energy, creating the Great Lakes Energy Research Park on the site of the old Total Petroleum company in nearby Alma. It replaces an oil refinery with a multi-billion dollar clean coal facility and others.
- Meridian Automotive Systems (Mfg)
- Ionia Public Schools & Lakewood Public Schools
- Ionia County Memorial Hospital
- Brown Corporation of Ionia - Automotive stampings
- Agriculture also contributes substantially to this county's economy with its 200,000 acres of crops producing land. Ionia is home to several successful egg and poultry farms and frozen food plants.
Recipe: Paul McCartney's Mashed Potatoes (Michigan potatoes are an Irish/UK type)
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!
No comments yet.