jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What are decent rates for editing a book?

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Hey all your professional editors out there.
    I usually write or edit shorter works (commercial stuff like websites, brochures, press releases, etc.).
    Which is sort of like SPRINTING.

Now I need to know what's the going rate for a LONG DISTANCE project -- editing a book?
    I'll give you the parameters and you tell me what YOU would charge or think is reasonable as either a per word or per page rate.

92,000 words
    166 pages

Mighty Mom

1. pylos26 profile image76
      pylos26posted 4 years ago in reply to this

About three dollars.

2. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

I am far from an expert but I run a local group with quite a few published authors. I *think* about $1200-1500 for 300-400 standard pages.

3. Mighty Mom profile image91

Thanks, WryLit!

4. Teylina profile image60
    Teylinaposted 4 years ago

I'm definitely no expert. However, that is the reason I've not even tried to pub an epic I wrote which a number of people said should published. Good epics are few and far between. I kept getting quotes from the editors I contacted (freelance) because it needs some serious woodcutting and I didn't know where to start (still don't--but going to anyway 1st of Aug) The best rate I got was 1.75 per pg (one person--rest were all $2 per pg). At 900 (closer to 1,000) pgs, I couldn't do it, but I've been being harassed by a couple of people (not friends or family) to try again to self-edit, so guess I'll see. Wouldn't it be loverly if we could all just send in manuscripts and know it would go to a good editor at a pub house, like things used to be!!

5. Mighty Mom profile image91

Thanks, all, for your help on this!