jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How long should I stay at my job?

1. passthejelly profile image81
    passthejellyposted 3 years ago

I just started a job a pizza hut not too long ago and I am not saying that it is a bad job, but I just can't see myself staying there for an extended period of time.  After being at this job for a little while I have decided to go back to school.  So my question is how long should I stay before leaving to go back to school, and will leaving effect me applying for other jobs?

1. NYMiskovic profile image85
      NYMiskovicposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If you give proper notice and leave on good terms with your boss/supervisor, then it shouldn't effect you getting a job in the future. I'd be sure to ask if your boss would be willing to give you a good recommendation down the road should you need one. But I really don't think any furture employer is going to frown upon the fact that you left a job to get a better education. However, if you have a track record of taking a job, staying a few weeks, then quitting...well, then it might be a problem and you might want to consider sticking it out for a while. I'm curious, is there a reason you can't continue to work part-time while attending school? Even if for just a little while this might be a solution to your concerns of applying for jobs in the future. Good luck smile

2. ocbill profile image76
    ocbillposted 3 years ago

If you leave it should be a better position which looks better on a resume

3. Tusitala Tom profile image90
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

Depends what you mean by an extended period of time.  Are we talking three months or three years?
    Take advantage of everything you can learn in and about the job while you're in it.  Regard it as a learning venture in just one small part of the vast food and service industry.  Think positively about it.   Both heart and commonsense will tell you when to move on.