Would you accept a job where they refuse to tell you what the pay is?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (28 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Or would you accept a job where you are being asked to cover two positions, one of which is an hour away in decent weather (this is on foot, no car and I don't drive anyway) that will result in there being situations where you know you will not be able to fulfil your duties and believe that this will give a valid reason for dismissal?

These are the choices my current employers are offering as they legally cannot dismiss me (without me suing the pants off them for discrimination).

I am fuming needless to say!

1. profile image0
      King Larryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

damn straight i would, i would march down to my bosses office and be like, "where's my money? where's my money biatch!"

2. Jim Hunter profile image59
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Would you accept a job where they refuse to tell you what the pay is?"

No.

3. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could you take the bus or get a ride from someone?  I would probably go with the position that had undetermined pay if it's closer.  Sounds like you're in a tough spot.  Good luck.

4. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

sounds like a set up, so they can get something on you, then get rid of you. Do not give them a legal opening, be carefull.

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Grrr - how dare they pull this cr*p?

I'm thinking "constructive dismissal" and "solicitor".  Although in your position I would probably go "sod it" and find another job with another employer asap.

kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would love to tell 'em to shove it where the sun don't shine!

The consequence of doing so without another job lined up would mean that I would be 'voluntarily unemployed'. If you are voluntarily unemployed you can eat your hat as far as getting any sort of help or support to find a new job goes. I am thinking, lawyer, lawsuit, possibly on full pay dismissal again and big ass payout!

I have written up an email and have asked hubby and family to read it over before I send it out to as many job discrimination type lawyer types a possible.

Not like that isn't enough the up pipe to my toilet has cracked and was flooding the bathroom a min ago. Was holding the pipe as closed as possible till just a moment ago. We finally managed to drain all the water tanks so no more water to flood!

And thats the best news I have had all day!!!! Ahhhhhhh! mad

3. sim0n30 profile image60
    sim0n30posted 13 years ago

No definitely not, that sounds like a very strange situation.

I truly think that since they cannot legally fire me they are looking to get me out through other means.

4. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

that's like agreeing to sleep with a woman with an Adam's apple...

you are most likely in for a nasty surprise

5. kirstenblog profile image79

If you wanna fire me, grow a pair of balls and do it!

If you cannot do it legally but still want to, offer me a large severance package like the bankers got!
    I suspect folks would not begrudge a lollipop lady a big settlement when her employers have discriminated and are now embarrassed!

6. kirstenblog profile image79

Ah good, the plumbers are here at least yikes *sigh*

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Well well well. An employer making the employment conditions so intolerable that the employee has no (sane) choice but to quit. This must be the very first time in history that this has occurred. NOT!

Let's face it. They want you gone. You want to be gone. But they need to make it worth your while to go.
    Can you sit down with your boss and negotiate a severance package?
    If you are entitled to unemployment payment, then they should allow you to collect. And be sure to ask for a positive reference.

As for contacting wrongful termination attorneys, I'm not sure a mass email blast is the way to go. Paper trail 'n all. How about contacting a couple via phone and meeting wit them to determine the strength of your case. Bear in mind, however, you will likely be PAYING for the consultation....
    And there is no guarantee they will tell you what you want to hear.

Of course I don't know the legality of your situation. Typically employees are shocked to find out they are "at will" employees -- meaning that the employer can can you at any time, without cause. Yes, really!
    But you say they CAN"T fire you. Are you protected under collective bargaining? If so, this sounds like a job for your union rep!

Anyway, sorry for rambling on. Good luck and we're routing for ya! MM

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Current situation is not good anywhere. if you don't have another job, don't quit for now. Any free time look for it, send resumes,call, etc. Keep this crazy job until you'll find something else and then quit. Lawyers cost money and time. Thay are not going to feed you and pay your rent. Keep your crazy job, walk there if necessary, ask politely your boss for more money(for two positions), be patient and look, look, look for another. As soon as you find it - run there.

2. kirstenblog profile image79

Sorry it took so long to respond, with everything falling apart last night in the BR (burst pipe flooded the BR) I got very stressed and distracted.

I would LOVE a nice severance package, would be the best option as far as I can see. Unfortunately that is not on offer and they think they are being totally fair. I am being unfair to them in wanting to know all the info before making any decision.

I suspect a lawyer might well get them thinking about generous severance packages. I need a young shark of a lawyer that has watched to many 'Erin Brokovich' type movies! lol

8. Neverletitgo profile image63
    Neverletitgoposted 13 years ago

If you don't have a job other this one, don't quit just be patient and find another job while you still have this one. I hope that will get nice one, but first be patient.

9. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

I won't unless it is an organization I really want to work for like Google.

10. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Kirsten,

My answer is no. I think you might have a good case against them. However, I don't have all the info. smile Good luck going forward. smile

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Hey Cags -- Love your new look. It that an albino tiger?
    Love the blue eyes!

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. I got the picture from someone. It was a great picture, so I kept it. smile I'm glad you like it. Thank you smile

2. Spacey Gracey profile image40
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Meowwww - lovely picture. I have an albino tiger called Sascha as a friend (OK so the relationship may be a little one way).

Sorry for hijacking smile Please ignore my inane rambles.

12. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

It sucks but it is happening more and more often - I think employers are happy to fly in the face of employment law, knowing that cash-strapped employees can't do anything about it.

All I can say (from a bit of experience) is to keep everything in writing, and see if you can find yourself at least one trusted senior manager who has some sympathy for you and will be happy to help talk through the situation.

Good luck.

It is this kind of thing that made me determined to work for myself as I no longer wanted to put up with this crap.

I am feeling similarly, I see huge potential with my zazzle shop selling my art designs and photography, made like £10 this month. It has grown faster then my earnings here I can tell you that much! Double my designs and product range and it could really do something for me. I keep thinking in a few years I may well look back on all of this as the best thing that could have happened its just a pain in the tookus when its happening roll

13. cre8tive profile image82
    cre8tiveposted 13 years ago

I'm been out of the arena for a couple of years but I did spend the best part of 20yrs working in HR and employment law.

If the situation is as you say your first move, as in the first thing you do in the morning is to put your concerns in writing. Be very clear and specific, state a possible scenario that you feel might arise where you believe the job you are being asked to do will be compromised. If you have it on record this gives you some protection ~ if you don't you run the risk of being asked why you didn't raise your concerns down the line.

In a lot of ways employment law isn't as black and white as criminal or civil law and often the deciding factor is 'reasonablness' ~ and that test depends on each situation.

Anyway I could babble on for hours about HR so I'll stop myself now but I cannot suggest strongly enough that you put your concerns in writing.

If you want more info I'm happpy to try and help.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't unless you don't mind working in lieu of pay.

14. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

I say take the job and be lazy until they have a reason to fire you.

15. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

What you are going through sucks big time, but you will use it for good.

I was in a similar situation, got it resolved only because the head of department changed and luckily was replaced by my old boss, then a few weeks later my home life fell apart and I had no-one to look after my kids. I just threw in the towel - I didn't want to live with the stress anymore - now I earn enough money here and freelance developing websites to supplement my husband's income so last month, for the first time in 18 months we had more money coming in than going out.

I checked out your website - left a comment, and sending you an email too.

Good luck in sorting out your employment issues - might be something you have to battle through while you set up your plans for the future.

16. MeaghanTS profile image61
    MeaghanTSposted 13 years ago

I prefer to know the salary/wage amount.. if I think it would be a decent job.. knowing approximately what it would be per year.. i would accept it...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)