jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

HELP!! Joomla-VirtueMart setup

1. 0
    Baileybearposted 5 years ago

I am trying to set up an on-line store.  There were claims it was a straight-forward process, but I've been finding it anything but.  I've had to try and find bits of info here and there.

I've managed to download, unzip & install Joomla-VirtueMart bundle software to cPanel.  All the files now appear in the directory on cPanel.  I set up a database, which is supposed to be needed. 

Now what? How do I get it to go so I can use it?  Have to configure it (whatever that means)?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image87
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maybe you could inquire on Their site. If they don't have a 'help' button or a contact link, I would be leery.

2. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I tried Joomla out for a while, but eventually gave it up and went back to WordPress for exactly the reason you're talking about. I don't know any hubber offhand that specifically uses Joomla, but if I were you, I would reach out to Sunforged or Skyfire. They probably know the right folks.

1. 0
      Baileybearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

does wordpress allow you to have a shop?

1. seamist profile image81
        seamistposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wordpress has plugins, both free and paid, that will list Amazon products. Although I haven't checked into it; I'm sure they probably have products for other affiliates too.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes it does. 

You can do almost anything with Wordpress!  For most things, you need to add what's called a "plugin".   There are several e-commerce plugins so you can set up your own store, plus several that allow you to feature eBay or Amazon products.

I looked at Joomla and Drupal before choosing Wordpress for my sites.  I found too many people complaining about the learning curve on Joomla and Drupal, and I noticed there were many, many more sites offering hints and tips on Wordpress - so it was an easy decision.

1. 0

turns out I was doing it all wrong (after trying different installation methods given on web).  Support got back to me & said I just needed to use the Installation to upload whichever software I wanted. 
          There was a selection of custom ecommerce software.  I chose Magento after seeing it had good reviews. 
          Wordpress said it was for blogs (can it do separate articles like hubpages out of interest?)

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
            Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wordpress was designed for blogs, but it's a very flexible platform.  It can do both posts and pages, so you can have a blog and a collection of static website pages all in one. 

For instance, all my websites have a blog section (where I blog about the subject) and an eBay section, which is all made up of pages.

1. 0

are the links to your sites on your profile page?

2. 0

installed wordpress & ecommerce plug in for it.  when went to activate the plug in ,came up with error: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30720 bytes)...
              So frustrating

2. 0

magento looks nice, but is too steep a learning curve too - so going to uninstall & try another - sigh

3. ProCW profile image83
    ProCWposted 5 years ago

In the administration area of Joomla, usually yoursite.com/administrator, you'll need to login. After doing that, you should have a menu near the top. There should be a "Components" menu. Under there, you should see "Virtuemart". Click on that.

Once you do that, you'll be in your store's control panel.

Choose simple or extended layout. Extended is really a better layout to "see" everything.

Just go through all of your menu options and put in your values.

"Categories" and "Products" are the more important sections in virtuemart. Though you definitely want to have everything configured.

Also, after configuring your store and setting up all of the options, you'll probably want to set up a menu for each category and for each product. This will help with both readable URLs and SEO efforts.

If you have other questions, feel free to contact me from my profile.

Have fun! smile

1. 0

sorry, just couldn't seem to make it work.  Will try out one of the ones that was on the list that is a specific ecommerce one

4. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

I found this post which might help:

http://sixrevisions.com/wordpress/top-5 … wordpress/

I've read before that the "WP E-commerce" plugin is frustrating to use, so it's better to go for something else.

I also found this post on the Wordpress.org forum:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/fata … -memory-17

Maybe the ecommerce plugin is too resource hungry to use with shared hosting?

1. 59
      prolix1001posted 5 years ago in reply to this

y every discussing about wordpress..

Website Design Melbourne