Generational Attitudes Towards Being Terminated/Fired or Downsized

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

From A Job

Older generations such as the Lost , GI, and older members of the Silent generation portend that being terminated/fired from a job is worse than death and a career killer.  They further maintain that once a person is terminated/fired, he/she has no career future to think of and at best, have to settle for any job available.   My father, who was from the GI generation, asserted that once a person is terminated from a job, no employee wants you because you are damaged goods so to speak.   However,  younger members of the Silent generation, Boomers, Generation Xers and Yers portend that being terminated/fired is just the beginning and as one door closes, another opens.   They further believe that being fired as a way to notify you that maybe you are in the wrong job.  What do you think?

1. Lipnancy profile image92
      Lipnancyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My generations' views on termination or being layed off is that it is a career killer. But having this happen to me twice, both after 10 years of employment, I survived. I am happy to say that I now do exactly what I want and get paid 7 times as much. But as for having a traditional career, I no longer have one, so in that way my generation is correct. Hope this answered your question.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It certainly did.   Thank you so much for adding to the discussion!