I Apparently Need Help therefore humbly ask for it.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

I have a hub that today has been 'indicated' as being overly promotional. That hub is A Hub Marketing Plan http://tsmog.hubpages.com/hub/A-Hub-Marketing-Plan posted or published on 3/20/12. It has received positive comments and positive accolades. Let me share I am now frustrated with primarily two causes:

1) was this flagged by a fellow hubber? If so, why? Finally what motivated the flag or where is the offense?
    2) There was a help provided with usage of the check for violations cue at the top of the page. That explanation stated in the order of instructions to un-publish (p.s. can some one add unpublish to the dictionary. Red lines and red in general is a trigger for persons with bipolar disorder. So, that said, I become more frustrated seeing red squiggly lines all the time for words used generally within the hubpages, which has a red squiggly line under it too along with hubber, which creates a mood reflected in the writing experience.) and then provided a link for help. I unpublished and the explanation and that valuable link disappeared apparently forever. That is frustrating. I have about 10-15 minutes to get to work and now I have to deal with this situation. That said, although I am compassionate of the hubpages (squiggly red line at hubpages) staff and their dilemma of helping as both counselors and administrators being busy, I am too!

So, the conclusion is I need HELP! with this hub. I place it before the wisdom of the more experienced and successful here at hubpages and those lesser than for assistance. The intent is a learning experience not for self, yet for all those who have a desire of understanding this dilemma as well.

Okay, a hint to those who know me and those who don't. I have dxd = diagnosis of bipolar disorder. I do not expect special treatment only understanding and acknowledgement that is a sever mental illness, which constitutes as a disability. The reason for that statement is that is why I am so laborious with explanations. Therefore I ask forgiveness for that length here with this request. Believe me when talking I say very little, yet at the keyboard my fingers tend to dance - lol. Just laugh with me and go with the flow.

I have read the TOS, even though it is complicated, it states 50 words for each advertised item. Is that the case here? How are those words counted? Can one sentence be used for multiple advertisements? It the idea is to write a niche article regarding a product or idea, then how does a hubpages (red squiggly line) author do that without being overly promotional?

Next, the intent of the article is a learning tool for fellow hubbers (red squiggly line). It demonstrates how an idea can be explored, any idea, and research methods for that exploration. It really in actuality does not promote the product - George Foreman Grills, it promotes learning using the George Foreman Grill as a metaphor for understanding with an example.

The links led to examples of those learning tools of the variables which may enhance a marketing idea of a new hubber (red squiggly line) seeking examples and incorporating the teaching method of see/hear or in this case reading, the do by going to those links and connecting the dots per se, and the teaching through the personal experience by going back and using those with their own idea.

Does it work? I dun'no. How does one measure other than to seek out those hubs written by those who commented. The results from my observation is it seems to work. Maybe asking those who commented would be a good idea.

Thank you for your valuable time with this. I do look forward to understanding why this was flagged and how to improve it for the audience - those seeking, the readership - those looky looing (okay I don't know how to spell those words - lol), and the writer with a desire to teach based on that 30 plus years of experience with sales and marketing to those who are seeking.

Tim Mitchell

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1. A flag by a hubber will do nothing but put it up for moderation. Only a staff moderator can unpublish your work.

2. Right click the word and click "add to dictionary". Many online words aren't there.

3. Have a look in the FAQ (linked at the bottom of each page) in the section explaining overly promotional.

4. We can't view your hub because it's unpublished. Although someone may be bothered to check it in the Google cache, I can't on my phone.

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thank you wrylilt. The right click is great information. I will do that. I unpublished the work per the instructions posted at the top of the page when it was flagged, moderated, or what ever the term is. I dun'no. Been here about two years and still learning like most part timers.

If the 50 word rule is the catch, then someone would have a field day at hubpages. I see that exercised very little.

Again thank you and when I get  home tonight I will look closer.

tim

... WAS it unpublished? If it was not, that means you didn't need to unpublish it, it would just mean they're warning you you're stepping close to the line...

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I did look at a cached version. You have 8 links in one short paragraph to the Business Dictionary, I think that might break a hub law or two...  I also notice that several of your products have nothing to do with marketing hubs, it could be flagged for that I guess. I know you mention George Forman, but having a George Forman grill is not really related to the content of the hub.

Personally, I would not have flagged it if I had come across it. I think it might have been an automatic flag which was then checked by a real person.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thank you univited writer. What an interesting name. Being a librarian I ask you would it have better to use five different dictionaries for a teaching hub? All of the products have to do with the hub. I differ with your view. Besides with ebay there is little control with what products are displayed unless you are specific to store and item description. I did that and was flagged too. Unable to win either way it appears.

The whole hub took the premise of marketing 'something' with hubs present and future as an explanation. The 'purpose' was to answer quesitons asked of me by 'new' hubbers. The comments seem to justify that it did answer those questions

The 'aha' experience I am having with your comment is the title is misleading, even though I recieved advice to make it hubber friendly from the original title. This hub was written using Samari or another writing tool. The title came from that. I think that is the problem. The jest of the article is how to create a maketing plan for hubs on a idea of whatever. The George Forman Grill is only the example for demonstrative purposes. I guess I should have explained that more thoughorly (SP)

thank you for the information. I will re-read again tonight.

tim

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image81
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I tried to click on your link and it wouldn't go anywhere; maybe the hub us in the edit mode  - but based on the comments here, I can see where it could have been flagged or moderated.  The advice you've been given here is good - hubs with more than two links to the same site will get flagged (once someone notices it).  And Amazon or eBay capsules that don't support the subject matter can get flagged. 

Also, you need at least 50 words for each Amazon capsule (again, I didn't see your hub, so I'm not sure what's there). But hubs that are overly packed with those capsules also attract negative attention.

Good luck!

1. tsmog profile image84

I agree with you and thank you Marcy for commenting. I take the time to 'not' link to the same address. I inquired asking directly if two addresses go to the same home website is that considered linking to the same place. I was specifically told "NO" that is untrue. Since some websites have up to hundreds of pages, especially universities, where I get many of scholastic links, govermental agencies and sites such as WebMD, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, dot gov, etc it would not be prudent to flag that. Logic says if Iinks to two different addreses for a product that has multiple pages that view should still hold true otherwise it would be a canard or a lie.

Again, I agree with the ebay or Amazon capsules criteria statment. (Marcy this is a bit of a rant in appearance, yet reality says it is frustration. Since I have over 100 hubs that seems to be successful do I go back over each or just delete this account and start over new and fresh?)

I have now begun stating on my ebay capsules this format - "The Keyword search used for this capsule is _________________. I think I will start putting that the products are randomly selected by eBay and/or Hubpages,  not the author." Amazon as we both know is different. At that point logic and assemblence of subjectivity must be considered I would think,

There seems to be a contrast of difference. Maybe with what they are teaching you in the program will be beneficial to us in the field. Like 50 words for each capule or each module. If I have an ebay capsule with 3 products does that mean 150 words. I honestly don't know. And, again they produce random selections, so how am I going to know which product is on display when? Hence, what are the 50 words to describe? The keyword identified at the capsule used for the random search of products.

I thank you Marcy. I am  trying not to take this personally. I appreciate your concern, camaraderie, leadership, and suggestions.

tim

Direct from the FAQ:

My Hub was moderated for being overly promotional; what does that mean?
        Purely promotional offers and Hubs designed only to promote other sites or businesses are not allowed. In particular, the following actions are likely to get your Hubs identified as overly promotional:

including more than 2 links to any one domain
        linking to the same domain in the body of the text AND in an RSS feed
        short "teasers" with links to "read more" at another site
        linking to sites/pages/Hubs that are unrelated to your Hub's topic
        including links to a page that contains largely the same content as your Hub
        Please note that promotional links are links that you have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.). Links to well-known Web resources which you don't have any personal interest in (like Wikipedia, news sites, encyclopedias, open directories, etc.) are exempt from this limitation.

1. tsmog profile image84

Hello WryLilt. I asked the owner what he thought where I worked. He asked one question. Would you have submitted that to me? I said, "No." Then he said with a giggle, "Tim a favorite saying you use is 'that is stating the obvious isn't it." I smiled.

It is now deleted. I solved that problem by eliminting it. However, it is in my file to look closer at in the future and revise. A tough business decison in some sense, since I my  thoughts became focused on the business policy here at hubpages. Thus the understanding and lesson learned it is not personal, it is good business sense." I see  a great hub idea.

Thank you Wrylilt for your very kind support and the clarification shared with me. I appreciate that effort. Maybe metaphorically I have graduated in a sense and the expectations of this hubber, being 'myself' is higher within that business / learning enterprise. It may be the difference from being '90' and being a '95' and higher.

There are many considerations I have now in life. Maybe the hint from the cosmos is I need to reconsider the plan. Glean the sheaves sort to speak. I have a publishing partner I will open this up to in discussion.

A bit of sharing is this has been an extremly intense few months since mid May for me. I think I will take a moment or two and reflect. I heard  it was overly promotional at that hub, yet now having listened I understand the plan has taken me as far as it can. Time to evaluate and take the next step up.

Again i appreciate your concern and effort. I think that is a a tad of inspiratioinal I think I will begin passing forward. I'll reflect first.

Tim

You don't need to delete it - it'll be gone in 24 hours! Just leave it unpublished, remove the links and republish it.

And scores mean nothing. Some of my best earning hubs have scores in the 60s. Scores are there to stop spam.

1. tsmog profile image84

Okay, I did as you suggested by un-deleting. I will sit on it a bit. I have too much at home stuff to do. thank you again WryLilt. This is encouraging . . .

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image81
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Hi, Tsmog -I certainly feel your frustration; it's difficult to be working hard to do everything the right way and not know where the problem lies.  The 50-words per Amazon capsule is a guideline I read early on, before I was in the program.  I'm also not clear on whether having three items in a capsule requires 150 words or only 50, so I always include enough words for every item.  But I also haven't used Amazon capsules a whole lot - I'm using them lately to learn. 

Something new we were told in the program was to try to have no more than three of that type of capsule. That was a new piece of info.  I have one hub I did recently, with more than three, and I'm watching it for any issues. It may be that the whole Amazon capsule thing is evolving, especially if Google now processes those as competition in their search engines.  I'm still very much a learner here; my comments were just meant to share what little I know.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is 50 words of text in your hub for every item that appears.

2. tsmog profile image84

Thank you Marcy. I am just dense sometimes. Not trying to be facetious, I just am. Like I tell a very close friend. I have a lot of book stuff in my head, but really I am not smart disregarding common sense for expediency many times. A conditioning process from the work place over the years. I am learning to adjust, yet at times I am frustrating to others too, who say "how old are you?" LOL. I appreciate the input of you both - Uninvited Writer and yourself Marcy. Oh, congrats being chosen as an apprentice. I was apprentice of Merlin, did you know that, just kidding. . .

tim

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)