Google's earnings are down

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

This just in:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout … 54605.html

Google just reported that it did not meet it's earnings goals for this quarter.  Any thoughts?  I know this must make all of us VERY sad!!

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm devastated.

2. EGAD Call profile image60
      EGAD Callposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sales goals are front office political fantasies. In business, it is not wise to project earnings. Your investments of time and money should be based on the past when planning for the future. Even that is just a baseline and may go up or down. It is good to plan and set goals, but it is really all about being efficient, productive, and adjusting to circumstances.

2. Novel Treasure profile image89
    Novel Treasureposted 11 years ago

It's probably not a great thing for anyone who uses the Google Ads piece, but I wouldn't read so much into it yet. As an accountant, there are so many things that can attribute to lower earnings or loss of earnings. It doesn't necessarily mean that their income or revenue (such as that from google ads) is down, but maybe that their expenses are just that much more.

For example, they could have increased their labor to support google, benefits increased, any lawsuits or litigations or allowance for bad debt could have contributed to higher expenses which would reduce earnings.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

They are expanding and try to monopolize everything :-)

1. profile image58
      Southernmapartposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Send Google to Sherman Anti-Trust.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

According to the news in the UK it is because of mobile phones. The cell phone phenomena (in terms of advertising) has affected Google more than adversely, and apparently, this is their 1/3rd? I believe, quarter where profits are down. Also, apparently some investment into Motorola, only I didn't catch exactly what that was about. Now, I realise I need to read the link provided! smile

5. wabond profile image57
    wabondposted 11 years ago

Hopefully they will go out of business.

1. DS Duby profile image81
      DS Dubyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's smart, if they were to go out of business millions of others income will be destroyed not to mention your own ad revenue from Hubpages. Luckily we know they won't go out of business though there may be quite a few half assed writers on hubpages left unpublished.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not so, millions of searchers would use bing, duck a go go etc.  We're all indexed there, just not highly searched.

Do you get paid from yahoo search engines cause the last time I checked it was a Google Adsense account required to earn

1. viryabo profile image96
            viryaboposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've always wondered about this. How does one earn from Yahoo, Bing, etc.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
            Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, an Adsense account is required, but the point I'm trying to make is that even if (which is highly unlikely) Google disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow, there are other search engines. And, in the event of something like that happening, HP would be not be asking that writers have an Adsense account in order to take advantage of their other advertising program.

Personally, I just think the changes that Google have made will eventually lead to more users utilising other search engines. I doubt that in ten years time G will still hold the greatest share in the market place.

2. profile image58

I'll buy into the pot that says they eventually go out of business.  The concept of a search engine being parlayed into selling ads off the enterprise of others will not last.  Something's gotta change.  Google is using "names" for placement of apparent unrelated ads.  Doubt that Google is paying the "names" for space on their priority page in the search results.

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

As Hollie has said, one of the main underlying problems for Google Adsense is apparently that people are increasingly using mobile phones to access the internet and they don't click on adverts that way.

I had noticed that the value of clicks has been gradually dropping.  Apparently, there are still lots of clicks, but it's the value of the clicks that is causing the reduction in income (the advertisers don't want to pay Google Adsense as much).

I don't think the problems at Google Adsense are something to be celebrated, not if you are trying to make money from internet advertising (like I am!)

I agree with that

TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google won't be going out of business anytime soon, but maybe now they've had a little taste of what it feels like to lose money...like they're doing to writers like us!

1. wabond profile image57
          wabondposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What we do need is proper competition between search engines.  Google can get away its behaviour because it has become too big. (bit like the banks).  Once people realize that Google no longer gives unbiased searches any-more, they will use other search engines.

2. profile image58

A business, in this instance, can be a search engine, or a broker for advertising space on priority pages, but not both, not ethically.  There are a lot of things that can force changes at Google if they are unwilling to make the changes. 

I'll explain.

All the code-writing, hacking, cookie-monster whiz kids think they are unstoppable, which is true in their world.  Their world does not turn without us shooting videos, writing content, searching, viewing, message-board chatting, shopping, etc.  Without US, the whiz kids are back to the good ol' days when only the government and select institutions used the internet.

For as long as the internet remains a viable means of communication for the public, there will be crowd-sourcing of crowd control of Google.  If Google doesn't do it, someone will roll out an ad brokerage for search engine ads, operated independently of any search engine.  I'll be reading to see if anyone cares to write reasons why ad brokerage will not work.

1. wabond profile image57
        wabondposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is what capitalism is all about, having competing companies, and giving the public a choice between them.  But if one company is too successful and takes over then the public no longer has a choice and that company can abuse it position and power.  Which is what has happened with Google.  Yes, it does need other search engines of some kind, to step up and challenge Google's power.

7. clemchambers profile image40
    clemchambersposted 11 years ago

Google Inc. Google Profit Down 20% on Costs, Lower Ad Prices http://uk.advfn.com/news/DJN/2012/article/54599123

1. viryabo profile image96
      viryaboposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This in turn is probably the reason why earnings are dropping like rocks! Sad.

8. indian cooking profile image63
    indian cookingposted 11 years ago

My adsense earnings from HubPages is now less than $5 in a month which is sort of disappointing. But HubPages Team has always come out with solutions, so I hope they will help us come out of this phase too.

9. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

Google have temporarily suspended their share trading:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … early.html

Since we all depend on Google for our earnings here, it's a bit short sighted to want them to crash and burn.  Every company can make improvements to become more efficient, ethical etc, but wanting Google to up their game is one thing, wanting them to collapse is childish.  A lot of people depend on Google for their jobs and incomes, and when big corporations go down they have a nasty habit of dragging the economy down with them.

As I said earlier, I don't expect Google to implode any time soon.  However, when a company is so big, it has a responsibility to function ethically.  I'm not sure HP, for example, is being treated ethically by Google.  THAT is why I'm happy to see them get a little kick in the pants...and I don't consider feeling this way "childish"...I'm sick of all the Google games and so are many other people.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that you need to actually read my post  - I said that wanting them to up their game and make improvements is one thing and that wanting them to collapse as a company is childish.

I also don't regard having to suspend trading as a 'little kick in the pants', on top of which YouTube apparently got hacked.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with the HP not being treated ethically by Google. HP as a company will have any agreements, accounts and contracts in place with Google as they need. and wouldn't agree to them if they were unhappy.

When it comes down to us hubbers getting Google traffic - it's their search engine and they can run the algo any way they want. I had a slapped account for over a year and got very little traffic - whining about it though didn't get me very far.  Unfortunately, all you can do is either change the way you work to please Google, or wait it out while doing something else.  I really don't think that the big G lose a lot of sleep over bieng 'fair' to content writers at HP

Where did I ever say I was rooting for Google to collapse?  Maybe YOU need to read MY post again!  Has it occurred to you that the reason Google's financials are down is because their paying customers don't like the way they're doing business?  They have thrown a lot of people out of business due to their methods, and people don't like it.   And as for "whining"...oh please!  I do not write for a living and never intended to make a fortune here, nor do I "whine" about what Google is doing...as with most hubbers, I have done my best to give Google what it wants, but unfortunately, for many, that just does not seem to be enough.  HP makes agreements with Google because Google is the only game in town and without them HP could not survive.  And you're right, Google doesn't worry about "the little people"...which is exactly why they, and other big companies always wind up with problems.  You can't ignore the "47%" and continue to do well!

10. profile image58
    Southernmapartposted 11 years ago

With few questions, Google appears to be operating unethically on several levels.  I suppose there should be proof of same but regardless of documented proof, it appears to me that Google is giving their advertisers high priority on search lists.  Another issue appears that Google may not be paying for use of copyright names to promote their advertisers when they place "options" to click on search pages displaying well-known copyright names/productions.

I do not want to see Google go down, but they had better clean up their act, or they will be taken down.

Southernmapart:  I couldn't have said it better myself!  I don't consider comments like yours "whining"... they are simply stating the obvious.  I agree totally with you that Google needs to clean up their act.  Yahoo didn't, and they've been struggling for quite awhile now.  Netflix is another example.  Thanks for posting this one, it really clarified my position.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)